Beta:Problem with Tools -> Options -> Applications

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Beta:Problem with Tools -> Options -> Applications

Post by joeg »

I'm using the beta .zip version. This means that although Fx beta is my "default browser", it isn't actually "installed" on my Win 7x64 machine. This might be of relevance to my issue.

Anyway, for .mp4 files, I have Tools -> Options -> Applications set to "Always ask".

In about:config, I have "media.play-stand-alone" set to "default" (True).

When I click on this link (Warning!!! Cat Movie) http://www.edu-net.net/media/balcony02.mp4, Fx doesn't "ask"; it automatically shows the movie in the built-in player.

When I change media.play-stand-alone to "False" and click on the link, Fx asks what I want to do with the file.

When my selection is set to my system's default player for .mp4 files (Media Player Home Cinema), Fx does exactly what it should: it downloads the file and shows it in MPHC.

When my selection is "Save File" or "Down Them All", it works fine, too.

However, when I tell Fx to "Open with" -> Firefox, it downloads the video instead (without automatically showing it in MPHC).

If I go back to Tools -> Options -> Applications and try to change the setting for mp4 files to "Use other ...", Fx doesn't appear in my list of choices. I guess this is related to the fact that, as mentioned, I'm using the zip version.

When I use the "Browse ..." option to find my firefox.exe and double-click it, the window disappears, and I'm taken back to the Tools -> Options -> Applications window, which is still set to "Always ask".

Is this a bug in the beta?

Thank you.

P.S. With a new profile, Fx opens the file in the built-in player. Under Tools -> Options -> Applications, there's no entry for mp4 files, so I'm not offered any choices.

When I go into about:config, and change "media.play-stand-alone" to "False", the window that asks what I want to do opens, but setting it to "use Firefox" only causes the program to download the video. It doesn't show it.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
therube

Re: Beta:Problem with Tools -> Options -> Applications

Post by therube »

Fx is NOT my "default browser", it isn't actually "installed" on my Win 7x64 machine.
Though I do have any number versions of FF laying about that I can run.

In my case (& the latest FF I've "run" is FF 50.0) yet when I choose "Open with" for the mp4 action, choosing "Firefox", it opens with FF 43.0.4.

Checking my (Windows) Registry I find:

Code: Select all

HKCR\Applications\firefox.exe\shell\open\command		REG_SZ
	"C:\FIREFOX\FF43\firefox.exe" "%1"	01/19/2016 10:54:26 PM	40	
So somehow, seemingly about a year ago, FF, & it must have been FF 43 at the time, FF got itself set up as a "file handler".

Perhaps in your case, you have that key set, but it is pointing to a no longer valid location for "firefox.exe" ?

Nirsoft:

OpenWithView is a small utility that displays the list of all available applications in the 'Open With' dialog-box of Windows, and allows you to easily disable/enable the applications in the list.

RegScanner is a small utility that allows you to scan the Registry, find the desired Registry values that match to the specified search criteria, and display them in one list.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: Beta:Problem with Tools -> Options -> Applications

Post by joeg »

therube wrote:Fx is NOT my "default browser", it isn't actually "installed" on my Win 7x64 machine ...
Thanks for your reply.

As I wrote, Fx is my default browser, but it also isn't "installed" on my machine: I use the zip version. In HKCR\Applications, Fx doesn't appear at all.

To me, the issue seems to be a combination of about:config -> "media.play-stand-alone" and the "Applications" window.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.