[RESOLVED] APNG status in Firefox?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Fanolian

[RESOLVED] APNG status in Firefox?

Post by Fanolian »

I know APNG still works completely fine in Firefox/Nightly. But is the code being (actively) maintained? (I know, from wiki, APNG was created within Mozilla)
APNG was largely ignored on the web but this may not be the case soon as Chrome/Chromium is targeting to support APNG in v58 (2 versions later) v59.

My wild speculation / my hope to Chromium supporting APNG is that Google may need APNG for displaying animated stickers in (future) web client for Allo, Google's messaging app. Of course I don't know whether Allo is actually using APNG for its stickers, but iMessage and LINE are using APNG.

I don't think my concern worth a bug report in Bugzilla. Where can I get relevant news/info about APNG implementation in Firefox besides bug 257197?
Last edited by Fanolian on February 23rd, 2017, 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Josa

Re: APNG status in Firefox?

Post by Josa »

Fanolian

Re: APNG status in Firefox?

Post by Fanolian »

Thanks. Looks like it's in a pretty good state. =D>
Omega X

Re: [RESOLVED] APNG status in Firefox?

Post by Omega X »

Wait, what!? Google is finally supporting APNG. I don't believe it. What ever happened to the mighty WebP doing animations and such?
maxst

Post by maxst »

Omega X wrote:Wait, what!? Google is finally supporting APNG. I don't believe it. What ever happened to the mighty WebP doing animations and such?
WebP still works in Chrome, animations and all. But no one seems to be interested. Maybe it's the lack of authoring tools (google only provides gif2webp command line utility) maybe because APNG already exists.

And yeah, the stickers will be the new hot thing in 2017, it seems.

APNG stickers for cool kids with latest iPhones, GIFs stickers for grandpas on Android 5.0 8-)
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

I could understand that PoV of preferring PNG over GIF kind of. PNG is more modern and has both 8-bit and 24-bit color + Transparency. APNG is just that with frames.

But its unlike Google to not support WebP unless those APNG stickers can be sent AS IS without other systems having its own copy to match and display like emoji. Then it would be for the sake of compatibility with iOS.