Items in Browser->Features folder

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Items in Browser->Features folder

Post by joeg »

There are now about 10 items in the Nightly installation folder under Browser -> Features.

I've looked at this page -> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Fir ... l_features, but I'm not sophisticated enough to understand it :oops: .

Is there a page somewhere that explains these "Features" in simple terms?

Thanks.

P.S. To be honest, I simply delete them, and Nightly seems to function normally.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Fanolian

Re: Items in Browser->Features folder

Post by Fanolian »

Those XPIs are/were called system addons which are completely unrelated to the link you referenced.
Not many information can be found from google search. This is one of the top links:
https://gecko.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ ... ddons.html

firefox@getpocket.com.xpi should be the pocket integration (which many hates it).
webcompat@mozilla.org.xpi and webcompat-reporter@mozilla.org.xpi may be related to the "Report Site Issue" feature.
FlyWeb

From gHacks:
Mozilla announced in mid-2015 that it would turn specific features of Firefox into system add-ons in the near future. The idea behind the move was to make updates to these features independent from browser updates.
I guess those xpis will come back every time you install a Firefox/Nightly update, unless you do some workarounds.
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: Items in Browser->Features folder

Post by joeg »

Fanolian wrote:... I guess those xpis will come back every time you install a Firefox/Nightly update, unless you do some workarounds.
OK, thank you. When the update function works as it should (about 1 in 5), they don't. When I have to go into the install folder and take the contents out of the "Updated" folder, they do.

It's no big deal. I just don't want them on my machine, though I'm sure they're part of somebody's beta-tester concept. They're definitely not part of mine.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.