MozillaZine

Future of Aurora Channel

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
ICQ5

User avatar
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: April 11th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia

Post Posted April 14th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Are You A Wiiizard? wrote:
Arch5 wrote:how could the Beta be less stable than Aurora? i dont get that


It will be the new Aurora basically except it will be patched at beta paces meaning if bugs make it's way in from a patch, it can't just be patched the next day or 2.

yes i know that buit Aurora as it stands now is just a Secondary Nightly/Beta it gets Patches when it needs it,

avada
 
Posts: 1707
Joined: February 10th, 2008, 6:30 am
Location: Hungary

Post Posted April 15th, 2017, 12:40 am

Ezh wrote:OK. Found this:

On April 17th, Firefox 55 will remain on Nightly.
This means Firefox 55 will remain on Nightly for two full cycles.
On June 13th, Firefox 55 will migrate directly from Nightly to Beta.

So this implicitly also means that they delayed all their plans (such as XUL addon removal) for v55 and later by one cycle, right?

ICQ5

User avatar
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: April 11th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia

Post Posted April 15th, 2017, 1:03 am

avada wrote:
Ezh wrote:OK. Found this:

On April 17th, Firefox 55 will remain on Nightly.
This means Firefox 55 will remain on Nightly for two full cycles.
On June 13th, Firefox 55 will migrate directly from Nightly to Beta.

So this implicitly also means that they delayed all their plans (such as XUL addon removal) for v55 and later by one cycle, right?

no i dont think they have delayed anything. , they still have to get 54 out the door ( which will be in beta once 53 is released ) you cant have 54 an 55 in beta at the same time. 56 however will be released but named as a New Channel? as to what i dunno, Maybe Firefox-UX i dunno

avada
 
Posts: 1707
Joined: February 10th, 2008, 6:30 am
Location: Hungary

Post Posted April 15th, 2017, 1:16 am

Are You A Wiiizard? wrote:So does that mean no more daily updates? If so that's really sad to hear coming from a 6+ yr Aurora user. Slower fixes will likely mean less stability...

On central the daily updates remain... Also bugfixes were most often not pushed to aurora if it was a feature that wasn't enabled on stable, even though they fixed it on central, because they didn't give a crap. So you had to suffer the bug until the next version jump, or move to central.

IMO Aurora was always pointless and only resulted in slower uptake of features, bugfixes. If they have something mature enough they can just push it to beta and get better test coverage. (If they know something's broken they shouldn't push it...)

Arch5 wrote:no i dont think they have delayed anything. , they still have to get 54 out the door ( which will be in beta once 53 is released ) you cant have 54 an 55 in beta at the same time. 56 however will be released but named as a New Channel? as to what i dunno, Maybe Firefox-UX i dunno


Oh yeah, I was mistaken. The staying on 55 for central just cancels out the switch to merge directly to beta, version number vise.

Are You A Wiiizard?
 
Posts: 191
Joined: August 30th, 2012, 4:27 am

Post Posted April 15th, 2017, 2:25 pm

avada wrote:
Are You A Wiiizard? wrote:So does that mean no more daily updates? If so that's really sad to hear coming from a 6+ yr Aurora user. Slower fixes will likely mean less stability...

On central the daily updates remain... Also bugfixes were most often not pushed to aurora if it was a feature that wasn't enabled on stable, even though they fixed it on central, because they didn't give a crap. So you had to suffer the bug until the next version jump, or move to central.

IMO Aurora was always pointless and only resulted in slower uptake of features, bugfixes. If they have something mature enough they can just push it to beta and get better test coverage. (If they know something's broken they shouldn't push it...)


Hmm... Didn't know that. Tbh I think they took Aurora too much like a beta than a second alpha, didn't risk uplifting much. I can understand after they made it the Developer's Edition but before it didn't make much sense from a dev pov. I think they needed to keep 6 week schedules for 4 channels otherwise release channel is just so far behind...

ICQ5

User avatar
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: April 11th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia

Post Posted April 15th, 2017, 4:31 pm

54 doesnt have many if any real features afaics https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/5 ... roranotes/. but yeah the Dev edition was useless channel , but the question is, will 57 still be released in November ? you'd think Moziolla will have to do a whole new Schedule
even here 54 has not a lot if any features in it. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Relea ... Firefox_54

custom.firefox.lady
 
Posts: 329
Joined: February 28th, 2008, 3:48 am
Location: PA

Post Posted April 17th, 2017, 6:31 pm

More info: http://release.mozilla.org/firefox/release/2017/04/17/Dawn-Project-FAQ.html

If the pref for legacy add-ons (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Firefox57) will now only be available on Nightly, that gives legacy add-on authors (assuming we have any left :( ) zero time to fix things when they break. Was hoping Dev. Ed. would be an option for continuing to use these. There's always ESR for now, but I'd miss being on (or near) the edge.

ICQ5

User avatar
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: April 11th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia

Post Posted April 17th, 2017, 6:36 pm

https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar has been updated, it no longer displays builds in the non-existant aurora channel

old Firefox release cycle:
Nightly > Aurora > Beta > Stable


new Firefox release cycle: Nightly > Beta > Stable

Lurtz
 
Posts: 141
Joined: June 12th, 2016, 12:25 pm

Post Posted April 20th, 2017, 1:44 am

Aurora still seems to get built every day, but not delivered via auto update. Are these builds without actual changes, just security fixes or something else entirely?

ICQ5

User avatar
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: April 11th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia

Post Posted April 20th, 2017, 1:52 am

Lurtz wrote:Aurora still seems to get built every day, but not delivered via auto update. Are these builds without actual changes, just security fixes or something else entirely?

there is no more AURORA CHANNEL . Aurora was merged to the Beta channel so you'll get the fix's there

this Thread could possibly be Closed now IMO

Lurtz
 
Posts: 141
Joined: June 12th, 2016, 12:25 pm

Post Posted April 20th, 2017, 1:56 am

Arch5 wrote:there is no more AURORA CHANNEL . Aurora was merged to the Beta channel so you'll get the fix's there

this Thread could possibly be Closed now IMO

What are these builds then?
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox ... la-aurora/

54.0a2 with timestamp from today. Are these already basically beta builds?

ICQ5

User avatar
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: April 11th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia

Post Posted April 20th, 2017, 2:09 am

Lurtz wrote:
Arch5 wrote:there is no more AURORA CHANNEL . Aurora was merged to the Beta channel so you'll get the fix's there

this Thread could possibly be Closed now IMO

What are these builds then?
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox ... la-aurora/

54.0a2 with timestamp from today. Are these already basically beta builds?

http://release.mozilla.org/firefox/rele ... t-FAQ.html read that , but TB54 hasnt been officialy tagged as Beta Yet, an i dont see Firefox54 officially beta1 tagged yet

Ezh
 
Posts: 452
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 1:35 pm
Location: Tallinn, Estonia

Post Posted April 20th, 2017, 6:41 am

Installed Nightly and now I cannot use both Nightly and release/beta channel simultaneously. With Aurora it was possible.

Any suggestions?

WaltS48

User avatar
 
Posts: 3402
Joined: May 7th, 2010, 9:38 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Post Posted April 20th, 2017, 6:50 am

Lurtz wrote:Aurora still seems to get built every day, but not delivered via auto update. Are these builds without actual changes, just security fixes or something else entirely?


Did you read the FAQ?

The link was posted in Future of Aurora Channel • mozillaZine Forums

They are probably building in case they have to release a security update before moving users to the Beta channel.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

WaltS48

User avatar
 
Posts: 3402
Joined: May 7th, 2010, 9:38 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Post Posted April 20th, 2017, 6:53 am

Ezh wrote:Installed Nightly and now I cannot use both Nightly and release/beta channel simultaneously. With Aurora it was possible.

Any suggestions?


Reinstall Aurora.

Developer Edition, currently based off Aurora, will be updated to get builds from the Beta branch. There is nothing Developer Edition users need to do, they will update automatically to the Beta build keeping the Developer Edition themes, tools, and preferences as well as the existing profile.


Also in Dawn project or the end of Aurora which nobody seems to have read.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

Return to Firefox Builds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Josa and 4 guests