Previous NIGHTLY: 20170610 (Fx 55.0a1)
Previous BETA: 20170609 (Fx 54.0 RC3)

Tinderbox Builds
Treeherder
Release Notes: NIGHTLY | BETA
Changelogs: NIGHTLY | BETA

Fixed:
  1. NIGHTLY +25
  4. #1368113 [Core:CSS Parsing and Computation]-Dynamic restyling of ::placeholder on <input type="number"> doesn't work correctly [Uns][]
  5. #1355724 [Core:CSS Parsing and Computation]-stylo: Support :hover and :active quirk [Uns][]
  6. #1370671 [Core:DOM: Core & HTML]-Datepicker shows incorrect month for the first day of the month [Uns][]
  7. #1371224 [Core:Gecko Profiler]-Add markers for forgetSkippable and CC slices [Uns][]
  8. #1369949 [Core:Graphics]-Random appearance of grey vertical bars in tab strip [Mac][[gfx-noted]]
  9. #1371105 [Core:JavaScript Engine]-Reduce amount of templates in frontend [Uns][]
  10. #1370340 [Core:Networking: HTTP]-Carrying class-of-service flags to redirected channels causes infinite page loading on www.walmartmoneycard.com/login [Uns][[webcompat][necko-active]]
  11. #1366744 [Core:Printing: Output]-Printing (including save to PDF) mostly results in empty pages since bug 675709 has been fixed [Mac][]
  12. #1344034 [Core:Security]-A single RWX page is getting allocated on Windows. [Uns][]
  13. #1370757 [Core:Widget: Cocoa]-Avoid inflating the dirty rect in nsNativeThemeCocoa::DrawWidgetBackground [Mac][tpi:+]
  14. #1367905 [Core:XPCOM]-Try to run GC/CC slices, including forgetSkippable, during idle time [Uns][[qf:p1]]
  15. #625778 [Firefox:Bookmarks & History]-Contextual commands (such as Unable to delete/create bookmark) with right click does not work after a Customize [All][[fxsearch]]
  16. #1371842 [Firefox:Developer Tools: Debugger]-Update Debugger frontend (6/9/2017) [Uns][]
  17. #1369771 [Firefox:Downloads Panel]-Confirm launching executable more often on Windows [Uns][]
  18. #1371218 [Firefox:General]-Move browser.js' stray DOMContentLoaded handler into gBrowserInit [All][]
  19. #1370518 [Firefox:Location Bar]-The search suggestions hint is displayed on focusing the Awesome bar only the first time [Uns][[fxsearch]]
  20. #1368943 [Firefox:Preferences]-"# of content process" option is exposed to non-e10s users in Preferences [Uns][[photon-preference]]
  21. #1342793 [Firefox:Site Identity and Permission Panels]-permission states wrapped on multiple lines don't align on the end (right for ltr) [Uns][[fxprivacy]]
  22. #1185482 [Firefox:Theme]-In maximized windows, the hover effect of the caption buttons should span the entire height of the tab strip [Win][[photon-visual][p3][57]]
  23. #1370986 [Firefox:Toolbars and Customization]-Overflow panel subview misses anchor styling, cuts off subviews (needs minimum width?) [Uns][[photon-structure]]
  24. #1365079 [Toolkit:Add-ons Manager]-onClick fontcolor change of 'Legacy' label is not readable [Uns][triaged]
  25. #1351255 [Toolkit:Add-ons Manager]-puzzle and hamburger icons mis-aligned in install confirmation panel [Uns][triaged]
  26. #1333403 [Toolkit:WebExtensions: Frontend]-Introduce browser.menus, an alias for browser.contextMenus [All][[design-decision-approved] triaged]
  1. Partial Landings/Diagnostic Patches:
    None
  1. Beta RC3 -> RC 4 Changelog +0
    None

Nightly 55 fixes since 20170306 (Gecko 54) ~4937
Beta 54 fixes since 20170123 (Gecko 53) ~2652

Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Release Tracking
MozRegression Guide
Last edited by Josa on June 11th, 2017, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexU_21

Re: The Official 20170611 builds are not yet out

Post by alexU_21 »

Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ avada - I think that you misunderstanding some things.

Mozilla Firefox supports VP8 and VP9 decoding as:
media.ffvpx.enabled is set to true by default (controls VP8 and VP9 decoding)
media.wmf.vp9.enabled is set to true by default (controls hardware accelerated VP9 decoding)
media.eme.vp9-in-mp4.enabled is set to true by default (controls EME VP9 decoding)

You can even force VP9 in Mozilla Firefox by changing:
media.wmf.vp9.force.enabled to true (set by default as true only in Nightly channel)

Only thing that Mozilla not enabled by default yet per too many bugs is MSE VP9,
but you can always change:
media.mediasource.webm.enabled to true (controls MSE VP9 decoding) to get it working if you want, but care for issues as it's buggy.

There is also media.benchmark.vp9.threshold, but it not override the preferences above, it just disable VP9 on PCs not fast enough to decode it, mostly due to not having support for hardware accelerated VP9 decoding, while having hardware accelerated H.264 decoding

For fast checking it it's working properly use https://www.youtube.com/html5

What's more, most websites still prioritize H.264 than VP9, as H.264 have more hardware acceleration decoding support.

@ alexU_21 - Fortunately I didn't have this crash yet, but looking on this crash signature, you're not alone with it,
so if you have reproducible STR, just report issue on Bugzilla.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
avada

Post by avada »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:@ avada - I think that you misunderstanding some things.
I don't think so.
Virtual_ManPL wrote:Only thing that Mozilla not enabled by default yet per too many bugs is MSE VP9,
media.mediasource.webm.enabled to true (controls MSE VP9 decoding) to get it working if you want, but care for issues as it's buggy.
Since all other settings depend on this it doesn't matter much that they're enabled. You disable webm, there's no vp9/8.
Virtual_ManPL wrote:There is also media.benchmark.vp9.threshold, but it not override the preferences above, it just disable VP9 on PCs not fast enough to decode it, mostly due to not having support for hardware accelerated VP9 decoding, while having hardware accelerated H.264 decoding
This is not true, it seems. Take a look here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1260305#c0

One dev poionted this out, another made a patch, a third decided to don't give crap, so it was wontfix-ed.

PS: I filed Bug 1371999 - Downscaled videos look extremely bad with pronounced aliasing artifacts
Didn't see anything like that filed. Plus it's so bad it makes me want to vomit.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

avada wrote:
Virtual_ManPL wrote:@ avada - I think that you misunderstanding some things.
I don't think so.
You don't think so, because you still misunderstanding some things, which I explained to you.
Reread them all and you should understand properly what is supported and enabled and what is supported but not enabled yet due to issues.
avada wrote:
Virtual_ManPL wrote:Only thing that Mozilla not enabled by default yet per too many bugs is MSE VP9,
Since all other settings depend on this it doesn't matter much that they're enabled. You disable webm, there's no vp9/8.
You're wrong. This setting only control MSE VP9 decoding,
not WebM decoding, not VP9 decoding and not VP8 decoding.
avada wrote:
Virtual_ManPL wrote:There is also media.benchmark.vp9.threshold, but it not override the preferences above, it just disable VP9 on PCs not fast enough to decode it, mostly due to not having support for hardware accelerated VP9 decoding, while having hardware accelerated H.264 decoding
That's not true it seems. Take a look here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1260305#c0
One dev poionted this out, another made a patch, a third decided to don't give crap, so it was wontfix-ed.
media.benchmark.vp9.threshold controls what I have written above,
patch in that bug wanted to add useless duplicate preference,
and was WONTFIX'ed because of this, as it can be done already with other preference, if you want to force disable MSE VP9.
It was explained by Jean-Yves Avenard [:jya] in comment #1.

In maybe tl;dr mode,
Mozilla Firefox implanted support for:
- VP8 decoding
- VP9 decoding
- VP9 decoding by using Encrypted Media Extensions (EME)
and it's enabled by default

Mozilla Firefox implanted support for:
- VP9 decoding by using Media Source Extensions (MSE)
but it's disabled by default

So write what you want to do and I will help or at least try to help you with these settings.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
avada

Post by avada »

@Virtual_ManPL
You're still wrong. The setting is in fact overridden on fast machines, and vp9 is force enabled. That's why I searched around, to figure out why the hell it happens.
Virtual_ManPL wrote:You're wrong. This setting only control MSE VP9 decoding,
not WebM decoding, not VP9 decoding and not VP8 decoding.
Yeah, I misspoke about this.
Virtual_ManPL wrote:patch in that bug wanted to add useless duplicate preference,
Indeed, the override that's happening. But I don't think that it'd be useless. I can's see someone figuring out to change a benchmark value, or if they find it figure out that they can use it for this. (It wasn't even obvious to the devs...)
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ avada - Every preference I tried works for me properly and as intended on many testing website pages, so it's hard to think for me that I'm wrong, except some preferences are bugged in your cases.
What do you want to do, that isn't working for you?
Virtualfox persona
Josa

Re: The Official 20170611 builds are out

Post by Josa »