Is the global message manager hosed in nightly?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
lithopsian

Is the global message manager hosed in nightly?

Post by lithopsian »

Not sure when, but sometime in the last couple of weeks, a bunch of stuff has stopped working in nightly. Frames created with the global message manager don't seem to communicate with ... well, anything. I'm not even sure that the frame scripts get loaded for new tabs, only the first one. In 55 it is fine. With e10s switched off it is fine. In 56/7 with e10s on it is broke for me.
lithopsian

Re: Is the global message manager hosed in nightly?

Post by lithopsian »

Not just the global message manager, its all frame scripts. At least all the ones I try to load.

What seems to happen is that frame scripts are loaded when a window is created, but not reloaded when a page is remoted. New tabs don't get a frame script. A new window does, but it is always in the local process (for about:blank or some such) and so effectively useless in e10s modes.

This can't just be me? Firefox is full of framescripts. What am I doing that would cause this behaviour? Other than the obvious trying to cling on to an XUL addon until the last possible moment.
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

Seems related to the same issues reported and which I reproduced with uBO/uMatrix legacy[1]. I didn't bother to investigate further, I didn't see the point of trying to make the legacy versions work on Nightly 57.

[1] https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/support-umatrix/5131/53 & http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14758251
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

That does look similar. I'm still confused what is really happening. Tracking the registration and removal (and re-registration and derefgistration time after time) of frame scripts is tricky. All I'm sure of is that frame scripts from more than one XUL addon are completely unresponsive to messages and content events, but do (sometimes at least) exist (only in the chrome process?) and respond to the unload event. With e10s disabled, they behave normally for all pages.