renewal of "3rd Party Builds"?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
DN123ABC

renewal of "3rd Party Builds"?

Post by DN123ABC »

With all the upset and issues in Firefox coming, I am surprised there are not more "3rd Party Builds" like there used to be.

I remember when there were at least a dozen different builds, with various like added in and dislikes left out. There were also people who did performance optimizations, 64 bit optimizations, and different "specialty packages" (like a build with all sorts of tab manipulations, for example).

Right now, the only thing I see is this "Waterfox", which looks interesting.

Is there a reason there are not more of these one-off custom builds?
DanRaisch

Re: renewal of "3rd Party Builds"?

Post by DanRaisch »

Possibly too many forks and not enough users of each one. After a while the authors just couldn't justify the effort involved.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

all forkes go servo/rust, gecko is dead with v57, dont expect too much. and dont expect support on forkes, maybe not here also.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

DanRaisch wrote:Possibly too many forks and not enough users of each one. After a while the authors just couldn't justify the effort involved.
But I thought the point was that it was fairly easy for anybody to build these programs, with little effort involved once things were set up and automated.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

fairly easy for anybody to build these programs,
But that would not include any time/effort/expertise to make the changes necessary so the "fork" would not end up being simply a clone with a different name. Compiling can be automated but reviewing the source code, identifying areas to be changed and then coding the changes is where the effort comes in.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

I have no idea what you're talking about. People used to take the code, and tweak it to customize it, then provide "builds" which others then used. It was as simple as that.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Nothing simple about it in many cases. What do you think is involved in "tweaking" code? For some things it might be as simple as changing switches during the compile but for others ("a build with all sorts of tab manipulations" for instance) it requires knowledge of both the functionality of the original source code and how to program the variant functionality desired. That means a detailed knowledge of both the C++ and Javascript programming languages. The source code for version 55.0.2 is downloadable as a 223MB compressed tar file, just to give you an idea of the amount of data that must be reviewed to find the elements to be changed or places where new code must be added to achieve the desired results.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Spare me from experts like the OP who think things are "simple" but are both unwilling and unable to do them
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Or to put it another way: "Everything is easy for the man who doesn't have to do it."
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

DN123ABC wrote:I have no idea what you're talking about. People used to take the code, and tweak it to customize it, then provide "builds" which others then used. It was as simple as that.
What is stopping you from doing exactly that?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)