Has "restore previous session" been removed from about:home

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
wyterabitt

Has "restore previous session" been removed from about:home

Post by wyterabitt »

When I downloaded Firefox 57 I didnt like the new home screen, so I used browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.aboutHome.enabled to go back to the original about:home that also has the "restore previous session" on it. After updating to beta 8 the original about:home still loads but the options at the bottom no longer show including restoring session, and I cant find any information about this.

I know you can add a button to the tabs bar for this using browser.tabs.restorebutton but I still prefer the look of it on the home screen when firefox starts.

Anyone know if it has been removed for good, or how to restore it?

Edit: Out of curiosity I randomly looked at the page source for about:home, all the options that are supposed to show are still listed but are not showing. Not really sure what that means. I tried with a new fresh profile and it is the same so I assume this is supposed to be like this.
atlanto

Re: Has "restore previous session" been removed from about:h

Post by atlanto »

It has been dropped. There is no option, no choice.
1400326 - Preparing existing about:home for 57 if we decide not to ship activity stream on it

I'm using reverting css in userContent.css for now. (for 58.0a1)

Code: Select all

@-moz-document url(about:home) {
  /* bug 1400326 */
  #launcher {
    display: -moz-box !important;
  }
  #launcher:not([session]),
  body[narrow] #launcher[session] {
    display: block !important; /* display separator and restore button on separate lines */
  }
}
For now. No future.
wyterabitt

Post by wyterabitt »

Thanks for the info, and the css works great for now.

Looks like ill probably have to get used to it gone in the future, which is annoying as the tab button option I mentioned looks really ugly for some reason.
Edds

Post by Edds »

If you click on the Hamburger menu there is 4th row with "Restore previous session" option. Is it not working or are you looking for something else ?
Laptop: Intel Core i5 1240P | 16GB DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 1080p | Win 11
Phone: Samsung S24 Ultra | Android 14
wyterabitt

Post by wyterabitt »

I just like the design of having a button available on screen to press to restore if I want it, not in a menu of any kind that I have to go into then press. It's certainly not important or anything, just a design preference and I do think it is better even if not an important feature.