Firefox 57.0

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Mark12547

Re: Firefox 57.0

Post by Mark12547 »

See this part of a thread on the Firefox subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... s/dpiqqik/

Particularly of note is this comment:
When the RC is ready to be moved into Release, we literally take the exact same bits and serve them to the release channel. Given all the testing that the RCs get, using the exact same binaries gives us a lot more confidence in the release.
BuzWeaver

Post by BuzWeaver »

Finally, finally, finally, the memory changes have been a HUGE refreshing change. I'm putting 57 through the paces right now and so far no hitching, lag, stammering or stutter when using Facebook Emoji's and or general typing on there and Twitter comment fields are working better too. Wow, its been a rough last three months with the quirky little typing issues. So far 57 is performing amazingly.
Skram0

Post by Skram0 »

Loving version 57! Wow, it's so much faster. I'm enjoying the snappy speed. Now this is what a browser should have been years ago.

The only launch snafoo woops I can see are the Flexible Space place holders that end up on each side of the site bar. Happened in 5 browsers so far that I've upgraded from 56.0.2 to 57. Easily to customize and remove. But a shame everyone who gets upgraded now gets wasted space on their bar and a smaller website info box.

Oh well, keep up the good work. :)
steveg10

Post by steveg10 »

Okay this is on a feeble little note book enhanced only by its SSD, but I have to say my initial reaction to 57.0 (64 bit) is no difference in speed and if anything not as fast! Main problem I’ve found is quite the opposite to Buzweaver in the rendering of a page(s) which is now erratic, was never the case for me before upgrading :shock: ? Early days, so I’ll wait and see if anything else differs (for good or bad).
Yes, I only joined to post this as it was the good comments that give me the confidence to upgrade to 57.0. I would normally wait 2-3 weeks before doing so, but the increased performance hype persuaded me to look around for problems and I found you. No offence guys I appreciate you all taking the time to post and you have helped me loads in the past.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

on weaker hardware any browser would be slow ;) from loading up to rendering. this older machine has only benefit from the new extension modell and some major firefox changes - firefox itself is faster than before. concerning webpages not really a difference. if you dont miss legacy extensions then v57 is definitely a step forward!
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

My guess is he is light on RAM. I believe Firefox will try to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit in the jump to 57, and though it will install with 2G of RAM, I'm pretty certain I read that it will run slower.

Maybe you can download the 32 bit version of 57, then uninstall the 64 bit, and try the 32 bit. Let us know if that was it.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

on my second pc i lost a 1GB ram from 2GB (just4fun computer) - win10 runs slower, lots of disk swapping - but when watching video after certain time with firefox firefox seems stuck and drive is running wild. 2gig should do anyway, but >=4 is recommended.