Pref 'toolkit.telemetry.enabled = true' is marked as locked.

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
streetwolf

Pref 'toolkit.telemetry.enabled = true' is marked as locked.

Post by streetwolf »

I want to disable this pref but haven't found a way to do it. ](*,) Does anyone know how to unlock it so I can disable it?
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
Lurtz

Re: Pref 'toolkit.telemetry.enabled = true' is marked as loc

Post by Lurtz »

Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

<installation folder>\defaults\pref\autoconfig.js
(or local-settings.js if you prefer)

Code: Select all

//
pref("general.config.filename", "mozilla.cfg");
pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0);
<installation folder>\mozilla.cfg

lockPref("toolkit.telemetry.enabled", false);
Diorser

Post by Diorser »

streetwolf wrote:I want to disable telemetry but haven't found a way to do it.
You use a development build [Firefox/59] which purpose is to provide feedback.
If you don''t want to contribute to development, you can try Firefox 57 which is a official release.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Diorser wrote:
If you don''t want to contribute to development, you can try Firefox 57 which is a official release.
You are making an assumption without all the facts. I've been having an issue that when I exit out of Fx and then start Fx again it takes about 6 seconds to get into Fx. I ran Process Monitor and it appears it might have been sending data to presumably Mozilla. I wanted to disable the pref just to see if it was the cause.

I have been testing Inbounds and Nightly's for years so don't give me a lecture. All you needed to ask was why I wanted to unlock the pref.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

streetwolf wrote:
Diorser wrote:
You are making an assumption without all the facts. I've been having an issue that when I exit out of Fx and then start Fx again it takes about 6 seconds to get into Fx. I ran Process Monitor and it appears it might have been sending data to presumably Mozilla. I wanted to disable the pref just to see if it was the cause.

I have been testing Inbounds and Nightly's for years so don't give me a lecture. All you needed to ask was why I wanted to unlock the pref.
Did you turning off toolkit.telemetry.shutdownPingSender.enabled as I suggested earlier ? No difference in your issue ?
Lurtz

Post by Lurtz »

streetwolf wrote:
Diorser wrote: You are making an assumption without all the facts. I've been having an issue that when I exit out of Fx and then start Fx again it takes about 6 seconds to get into Fx. I ran Process Monitor and it appears it might have been sending data to presumably Mozilla. I wanted to disable the pref just to see if it was the cause.
I don't think this has to do with telemetry: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1420594
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Lurtz wrote:
streetwolf wrote:
Diorser wrote: You are making an assumption without all the facts. I've been having an issue that when I exit out of Fx and then start Fx again it takes about 6 seconds to get into Fx. I ran Process Monitor and it appears it might have been sending data to presumably Mozilla. I wanted to disable the pref just to see if it was the cause.
I don't think this has to do with telemetry: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1420594
Thanks for the link. I updated the bug report pointing to mine which is https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1420995
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

streetwolf wrote: All you needed to ask was why I wanted to unlock the pref.
Told him!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
al_9x

Post by al_9x »

Gingerbread Man wrote:Image

<installation folder>\defaults\pref\autoconfig.js
(or local-settings.js if you prefer)

//
pref("general.config.filename", "mozilla.cfg");
pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0);
<installation folder>\mozilla.cfg

lockPref("toolkit.telemetry.enabled", false);
This does not work in dev edition 59. Is it still supposed to or did they deliberately disable this capability?
Aris

Post by Aris »

According to Mozilla it is enough to set datareporting.healthreport.uploadEnabled to false to completely disable telemetry.

See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1422689#c1
On Firefox Desktop starting with 58 toolkit.telemetry.enabled is locked to "true" on beta, aurora, and nightly channels (as well as unofficial builds with the 'default' channel). It is locked to "false" in all other cases.

This, rather unstraighforwardly, does not mean Telemetry is enabled. This means that, if telemetry is enabled, we collect somewhat more information. More details about our unfortunately-confusing Telemetry preferences can be found in the docs[1] and in the bug tree rooted at bug 1406390.

To disable Telemetry, uncheck the box in about:preferences labelled "Allow Firefox to send technical and interaction data to Mozilla". That will disable all data collection from Firefox to Mozilla via Telemetry. The corresponding about:config pref is `datareporting.healthreport.uploadEnabled`

We plan on straightening out the confusion caused by these historical naming artefacts next year (->2018).

[1]: https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org ... ences.html
al_9x

Post by al_9x »

except toolkit.telemetry.unified changes the meaning of datareporting.healthreport.uploadEnabled and others in ways that are not clearly documented
toolkit.telemetry.unified

This controls whether unified behavior is enabled. If true:

Telemetry is always enabled and recording base data.
Telemetry will send additional main pings.
We're so lucky to be able to choose our telemetry flavor, I bet Chrome just has a single monolithic telemetry.
datareporting.healthreport.uploadEnabled

If unified is true, this controls whether we send Telemetry data. If unified is false, we don’t use this value.
And if unified is false?
datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionEnabled

This is the data submission master kill switch. If disabled, no policy is shown or upload takes place, ever.
Look, another master switch, naturally, because the previous master switch is sometimes ignored.

It's really not hard to have a single pref that completely disables telemetry (both collection and transmission) and never changes (in name or meaning). There is no good excuse for this mess.