MozillaZine

6 firefox.exe processes won't end when trying to update

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
DN123ABC
 
Posts: 340
Joined: January 9th, 2017, 10:10 am

Post Posted December 20th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Got a notification to update from 58.0b11 (64 bit) to 58.0b12 (64 bit). Went ahead and hit "Restart", and the main (only) screen went away. Nothing happened. So, I went to Windows 7's Task Manager, and saw there were 6 firefox.exe processes running, many of them using up a LOT of memory. I ended up having to "kill" each one of them individually.

1) How come there are so many firefox.exe processes?
2) How come "Restart" doesn't get rid of them so it can restart itself?
3) What can be done to avoid this going forward?

Thank you.

therube

User avatar
 
Posts: 18186
Joined: March 10th, 2004, 9:59 pm
Location: Maryland USA

Post Posted December 20th, 2017, 6:26 pm

1. e10s, multiprocess
2. how much is a LOT of memory? did you wait long enough to see if the processes would close themselves?
3. patience?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

streetwolf

User avatar
 
Posts: 2174
Joined: August 21st, 2011, 8:07 am
Location: NJ (USA)

Post Posted December 20th, 2017, 6:40 pm

This might be the problem that was fixed in Fx59 a couple of weeks ago. It was a regression and it might have showed up in the version of Fx you are now running. When you close Fx it took about 6 seconds before you could restart Fx immediately otherwise Fx will wait.
Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 | Corsair 1000W PSU | Corsair H115i CPU Cooler | Corsair 64GB RAM @ 3.6GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 11GB | Dual ASUS PA249Q 24" LCDs | 2-512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 | 4TB WD Black | 2TB Seagate | Windows 10 Pro x64 | FIOS 1Gb

DN123ABC
 
Posts: 340
Joined: January 9th, 2017, 10:10 am

Post Posted December 20th, 2017, 6:49 pm

therube wrote:1. e10s, multiprocess
2. how much is a LOT of memory? did you wait long enough to see if the processes would close themselves?
3. patience?


1. When will they fix this problem?
2. Not sure, but I'll check next time.
3. Ran out, which is why I killed the processes.


streetwolf wrote:This might be the problem that was fixed in Fx59 a couple of weeks ago. It was a regression and it might have showed up in the version of Fx you are now running. When you close Fx it took about 6 seconds before you could restart Fx immediately otherwise Fx will wait.


I waited maybe 3 minutes, and it never restarted after I hit "Restart" on the update. I ended up manually killing all 6 processes.
Last edited by DN123ABC on December 20th, 2017, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

streetwolf

User avatar
 
Posts: 2174
Joined: August 21st, 2011, 8:07 am
Location: NJ (USA)

Post Posted December 20th, 2017, 6:50 pm

Here's the patch that fixed the problem. Does it sound like your problem? 1420594 – Regression: Latest Nightly needs a longer time to Quit (Spinning Beach Ball appears). My guess is you'll have to wait for Fx59.
Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 | Corsair 1000W PSU | Corsair H115i CPU Cooler | Corsair 64GB RAM @ 3.6GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 11GB | Dual ASUS PA249Q 24" LCDs | 2-512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 | 4TB WD Black | 2TB Seagate | Windows 10 Pro x64 | FIOS 1Gb

DN123ABC
 
Posts: 340
Joined: January 9th, 2017, 10:10 am

Post Posted December 20th, 2017, 6:52 pm

streetwolf wrote:Here's the patch that fixed the problem. Does it sound like your problem? 1420594 – Regression: Latest Nightly needs a longer time to Quit (Spinning Beach Ball appears).


No "spinning beach ball". Well, maybe at first, but then it just went away. It was doing nothing for a couple minutes at least.

streetwolf

User avatar
 
Posts: 2174
Joined: August 21st, 2011, 8:07 am
Location: NJ (USA)

Post Posted December 20th, 2017, 6:53 pm

DN123ABC wrote:
streetwolf wrote:Here's the patch that fixed the problem. Does it sound like your problem? 1420594 – Regression: Latest Nightly needs a longer time to Quit (Spinning Beach Ball appears).


No "spinning beach ball". Well, maybe at first, but then it just went away. It was doing nothing for a couple minutes at least.


Hmmm... Sounds like a different problem. Do a test. Get into Fx then exit out of it and real fast run Fx again. Do you still hang for minutes?
Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 | Corsair 1000W PSU | Corsair H115i CPU Cooler | Corsair 64GB RAM @ 3.6GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 11GB | Dual ASUS PA249Q 24" LCDs | 2-512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 | 4TB WD Black | 2TB Seagate | Windows 10 Pro x64 | FIOS 1Gb

DN123ABC
 
Posts: 340
Joined: January 9th, 2017, 10:10 am

Post Posted Yesterday, 3:25 pm

The trouble is it never closes out completely. Still doing it.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 2863
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted Today, 2:40 am

there is nothing we can do because your system is the culprit - you were told so many times. i suggest you to ask in a windows forum why your firefox is messing up.

Return to Firefox Builds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests