The first official 20180206 builds are out

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Mark12547

Re: The first official 20180206 builds are not yet out

Post by Mark12547 »

The Tinsmith wrote:
The times I have looked at the Task Manager and had just Firefox Nightly up and running and was not displaying my Netflix DVD Queue or a long ways down an infinitely expanding page, total memory usage was under 4GB. (E. g., right now it's sitting at 3.54GB.)

I am always amazed when I see users here talk about high Firefox memory usage. I don't have a Netflix account so I don't have your queue so I can't try that but sitting here, right now, logged onto this site Firefox Nightly is only using 297 MB of ram.

So you must have something else 'running'.
Right now the total memory used (by everything running, including the OS), according to the Windows Task Manger, is 3.10GB. I just got home minutes ago, fired up Firefox Nightly, and came directly to this thread. So, right now in addition to Firefox there is the start-up shell for LibreOffice, Norton Security Suite, and I noticed when I had installed the drivers for my new printer (a Brother laser printer) it ate a good chunk of memory.

Let me shut down Firefox to get a baseline reading ....

2.66 GB with Firefox Nightly shut down. 3.10 GB after starting Firefox Nightly again (after updating). So it looks like Firefox Nightly by itself after looking at just this thread is consuming 0.44 GB.

After opening a number of tabs (with dom.ipc.processCount set to 10, opening Titan TV, Netflix DVD home, IMDB, Netflix DVD queue, Netflix Instant Queue), total memory usage climbed to 3.83GB, so the Firefox portion is 1.17 GB. After scrolling through the Netflix DVD queue so all the cover art pictures loaded, it ate only another 0.03 GB.

For extensions, I am using uBlock Origin, Violentmonkey, Country Flag +, Hostname in Title, IPvFoo, small-clock, Tab Center Redux, To Google Translate, Blank New Tab.

This is a 64-bit build of Nightly on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit).
Last edited by Mark12547 on February 5th, 2018, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

Under Physical Memory (MB), it lists:
Total 3983
Cached 1348
Available 1547
Free 254
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

What malliz is saying is, this isn't the appropriate thread for this conversation. If it was "I'm experiencing high memory usage with today's build that wasn't there yesterday", that would be appropriate. But a discussion of the merits of 64-bit versus 32-bit is off topic for the nightly (read, each day's created build, not specifically Nightly or Alpha) thread. Plus, what are you going to do when this thread gets locked and want to discuss it more, continue in the next thread? Please start a new topic for this discussion, most preferably in the Mozillazine Tech forum, because this discussion isn't just Firefox, as it's more of an all programs type discussion.

Thanks.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

Actually, I'm asking if the latest nightly build is better on memory use than what I'm using, so yes it is on topic of nightly builds. I already have one partially good answer, maybe there will be more.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Nightly has been stable for me. I noticed a memory use drop between 58 and 57, but I have noticed any major difference between 58, 59 or 60.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

DN123ABC wrote:Actually, I'm asking if the latest nightly build is better on memory use than what I'm using, so yes it is on topic of nightly builds. I already have one partially good answer, maybe there will be more.
No you asked if you should use a 32 bit build......again
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Josa

Re: The first official 20180206 builds are out

Post by Josa »