The first official 20180504 builds are out

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
ashleylai87

Re: The first official 20180504 builds are not yet out

Post by ashleylai87 »

Mark12547 wrote:
ashleylai87 wrote:As one can see, I wanna set ipv6.google.com as my homepage, but I don't want firefox to automatically loads ipv6.google.com every time I start firefox from shortcut at taskbar. I simply want a blank tab/window, if I want to access the homepage, I would press ALT+Home.

Unfortunately, if I set 'blank page' at 'homepage and new windows', the shortcut ALT+Home redirect to ...well...blank page.
I have my home page set to a blank page. I use the bookmarks toolbar for sites I frequent most often, with the first site I usually visit being the first shortcut on the bookmarks toolbar.

Some people don't like sacrificing part of the vertical space for the bookmarks toolbar, so a second possibility is to have multiple shortcuts to launch Firefox, altering the "target" part of the shortcut if launching to a particular URL.

A sample shortcut target:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -no-remote

Same sample but opening a particular URL (in this case, time.gov to display the official time)

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -no-remote https://www.time.gov

The "https://www.time.gov" is the URL Firefox will automatically open when that shortcut is double-clicked.

(The -no-remote on Windows allows me to have this launch Firefox, even though there are other instances of Firefox already running, but it will not allow two instances to use the same profile. I need it because I often have two different versions of Firefox up at the same time, or have two Nightly instances up and running but one of them is using a new profile. If you run strictly one instance at a time, you wouldn't have -no-remote.)

Edited to add:

OK, it works. Set the default home page to desired URL. Then if you launch Firefox and specify "about:blank" as the URL, it appears to work, e. g.,

Shortcut target to open a blank page, in spite of having configured a default home page:

"C:\Program Files\Firefox Developer Edition\firefox.exe" -p "Test_Dev" -no-remote "about:blank"

Even though this instance has htts://www.time.gov as its default home page, the above shortcut (with the "about:blank", including the quotes, as the last parameter of the "target" of the shortcut) will open Firefox and the one tab opened will be a blank page.
This one ought to do for mass deployment. (20+ pc to push for)
Thanks

One reddit user suggests adding user_pref("browser.startup.page", 0); more or less the same stuff.

edit: with build 20180504220115, webrender finally works without those weird super ram usage and crash
Josa

Re: The first official 20180504 builds are out

Post by Josa »