Manually adding One-Click Search Engines

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Foxinabox

Manually adding One-Click Search Engines

Post by Foxinabox »

In the past, to manually add One-Click Search Engines to Firefox, you simply created a searchplugins folder within the profile, and deleted seach.json.mozlz4

At this point, you could start Firefox, and all search engines defined in xml files within searchplugins would appear in the list of One-Click Search Engines.

Doing this in Firefox 61.0b4, however, does not result in any search engines being added.

Does anyone know how to get this to work? :?:
DanRaisch

Re: Manually adding One-Click Search Engines

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Builds.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Well, 61.0b6 is the latest. You might want to update.

Then if there is a One-click search engine available, you can add it from the page action menu.
OpenSearch plugins offered by web pages can now be added from the page action menu for easier installation
61.0 Beta Release Notes
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Fanolian

Post by Fanolian »

Importing search plugins from searchplugins folder was removed in Firefox 57 by (probably) bug 1405670 part 1.
I tested in current Nightly and it is still possible to import them following these steps.

Another way is to add your plugins to http://mycroftproject.com/ and install from there.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

uh beta 6? latest is beta-5 for now
http://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/61.0b5/

@Walt - reason is that subfolder \searchplugins\ is ignored and there is only from AMO to add any maybe http://mycroftproject.com/ *
for me i cant use my engines when put offline in a new profile. but i can copy forward search.json.mozlz4 from v60 to v61.

*mycroft works, verified with my hidden engine.

i hope there is a hidden switch in prefs
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Yes, I just updated to 61.0b5.

I just use what is built-in, and add from the Page Action menu if I want to add a search engine.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Foxinabox

Post by Foxinabox »

When adding from Page Action menu, sites often add tracking code to the GET or POST parameters, so unfortunately that's not going to work.

Plus, I prefer to have complete control over what is sent to the site, as well as create custom icons for each engine.

I'm rather shocked that Mozilla removed the functionality of using the searchplugins folder. Hopefully it will return.

It sounds like uploading to mycroft might be the only way, which isn't ideal, but I'll have to look into it.

I suppose another option is to unpack search.json.mozlz4, edit it, and then repack it.
nohamelin

Post by nohamelin »

Managing custom engines from local files is simply a pain. I maintain some scripts due to this situation: the import script is simply the same as the bugzilla link given by Fanolian but letting multiple selection too.

Now, a few days ago I noted that the export script willn't work with Fx 61 :-" I will fix it during the weekend. EDIT: Fixed
Last edited by nohamelin on May 17th, 2018, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foxinabox

Post by Foxinabox »

nohamelin wrote:Managing custom engines from local files is simply a pain. I maintain some scripts due to this situation: the import script is simply the same as the bugzilla link given by Fanolian but letting multiple selection too.

Now, a few days ago I noted that the export script willn't work with Fx 61 :-" I will fix it during the weekend.
It used to be so easy (and useful)!

Thanks for the scripts and for keeping them updated. I'll take a look at them.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Managing custom engines from local files is simply a pain.
for common users, maybe. i used a template to try&error. now i use mycroft to upload and modify my search engines and i can share if some ask.
pity that mozilla will abandon \searchplugins\