How to disable update checks on Firefox Developer?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
gaomeo

Re: How to disable update checks on Firefox Developer?

Post by gaomeo »

The Mechanic wrote:
gaomeo wrote:You pretty much can't at the moment. Just to live it with until an alternative Browser is available.
So your solution is to wait for someone to develop "an alternative Browser" and then never have it update? Hmm...

Good luck with that. I do not recall ever seeing a software product of any kind that did not update and change over time. Unless it was EOL that is. :D
There is already a few browser with potential but it come and goes without a real competitor. The only choice at the moment is either Firefox or Chrome base. There is also Microsoft and Apple but those there is no fork. But that is off-topic and no need further input.

----
Just wanted to report back that the
app.update.interval;1999999999

Have it limitation and is not a solution to the topic at hand. That value seem to be caps, considering that is in millisecond
1999999999/(1000*60*60*24) = 23.148148136574 days

Doesn't seem to be the case. I'm getting the pop up offer within 7 days (not sure exact numbers of days). So it seem like that real value is hidden in code somewhere and it is still doing the check, downloading it and offering restart.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

as written there is no code behind such prefs any more - complete off. but firefox obeys GPO, just use it.
for me - i dont get bored when a new update is noticed, i click it away and done until next day.
As The Mechanic wrote - using a development build and not updating is close but no cigar :D
morat

Post by morat »

@gaomeo

A pref value of 86400 or 60*60*24 is equal to 1 day.
A pref value of 31536000 or 60*60*24*365 is equal to 1 year.

Reference
http://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-release/ ... e.interval
toolong

Post by toolong »

Sorry but I am still having a problem with using a known-to-update often version of Firefox and then complaining about it updating often.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

Firefox 63 with disabling updates not an option is going to be the release in a few days, so these comments about beta users are not going to apply. I expect the number one question about version 63 is going to be how to disable updates. The enterprise policy method is shown here and does work: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3041932 Or, the extension that Brummelchen linked does a nice job of creating the policies.json file you need https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... generator/ plus it gives you many other options.
toolong

Post by toolong »

lasardo wrote:Firefox 63 with disabling updates not an option is going to be the release in a few days, so these comments about beta users are not going to apply. I expect the number one question about version 63 is going to be how to disable updates. The enterprise policy method is shown here and does work: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3041932 Or, the extension that Brummelchen linked does a nice job of creating the policies.json file you need https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... generator/ plus it gives you many other options.

But again I ask why? Why try to disable updates for active development releases?

Don't like updates? Use the Release version. It might update (patch) once or twice in the cycle. Or use the ESR version which might update but similar to the Release version.

If you use the Beta release you can EXPECT two updates a week. I can not speak for the beta developer Release but I would think it would be similar to the beta.

And that leaves Nightly which we all know updates twice a day.

The "latest and the greatest" test fails when you skip the first update.

I'm sorry but I am a very logical person and this just not make sense.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

As far as I see, most demand will be for blocking updates on the release version. I agree for users who don't love updates release is probably the browser they would be best to use. If you want to be logical - only one example would justify someone wanting a way, right? A future version of Firefox is going to distrust many SSL certificates, blocking some websites. https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2018/ ... tificates/ If you block updates you would have the chance to test your browsing on a spare computer or portable Firefox before letting your main one update, or read articles in the press about problems with a Firefox version before deciding to update or not. If you allow updates, some of your browsing could be broken and you won't have an easy way to fix it (unless you make profile backups), since at several points changes have been made that made using your profile with an old version buggy.
toolong

Post by toolong »

As far as I see, most demand will be for blocking updates on the release version.

Are you saying that 'blocking updates' will allow this/these user(s) free rein to connect with sites that have insecure SSL Certificates and that still use very old, long out of date versions of TTLs?

Really? That makes absolutely no sense at all. It is their computer and if they get 'bugs' that is their problem> Really? And when they pass those bugs around.

I'll leave now.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Seriously makes me wonder why people avoid backing up their profile especially when they are using development and Beta builds it takes two minutes.
But I guess the water cooler warriors can't be bothered.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
therube

Post by therube »

Backing up a Profile - for this situation, really accomplishes nothing.

If the issue is the browser, updates to the browser, be it a particular Release or a particular #Dev version, or whatever, if you simply do not want updates - for whatever reason, & if those updates are forced upon you - regardless...

(Look at the current situation with Windows 10.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

So you think the possibility of losing all your passwords and bookmarks is minor matter?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Can you ever recover your profile, without a backup available?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

No
"Terry Pratchett"
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

people upgrading from beta to beta will moan again, there are major changes upcoming. i just saw today the new ui changes, in special addons manager.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

This is very interesting as years go by - nowadays, not wanting to update is considered abnormal. I don't understand why anyone asks why I do not want to update. I just want to have control over my software. Unfortunately, I'll have to accept the new trend. I've had many instances of my work flow hindered and slowed down due to numerous forced updates. I wish I could use a computer like 15-20 years ago - from the moment I turned it on it simply waited for my commands ready to serve me as it should...

Anyway, the update interval config didn't work at all and sometimes there would be even two (!) update dialogue windows appearing at the same time each prompting me to update. Since no one has offered a working solution to stop the nagging dialogues - and I guess there are none (apart from messing with some Windows registry, which I'm not willing to do) - I decided to simply stop using Firefox Developer and switched to Vivaldi. Vivaldi has a checkbox "Notify of updates" in its settings - this is pure magic by today's standards, a dying breed!
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey