[Solved] Context Menu activation problem

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
WaltS48

[Solved] Context Menu activation problem

Post by WaltS48 »

I noticed in some testing today that context menus on Windows don't open until I release the right mouse button after a right-click, but on Linux they open when I right-click the mouse button.

Occasionally an unwanted menu item will get activated if the mouse button is released over that item.

Shouldn't they work the same, open after a button release?

Happens in Nightly, Beta and Release versions.
Last edited by WaltS48 on November 17th, 2018, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
therube

Re: Context Menu activation problem

Post by therube »

Fired up FF 2.0.0.20, Win XP, & it does the same, so the behavior has been around for a while ;-).

Don't know that I've particularly considered holding down the right-click button before?
Maybe there was an extension that used it, snap links plus, sort of comes to mind that may have used it, don't recall offhand.

Looking at Prefs, I saw this, ui.click_hold_context_menus, & not that I know what it does, but it does not change the behavior, in Windows.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

If you want to open contextmenu after rught mouse button release, set ui.context_menus.after_mouseup = true.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

therube wrote:Looking at Prefs, I saw this, ui.click_hold_context_menus, & not that I know what it does, but it does not change the behavior, in Windows.
Experimenting, I found that allows a user to open a context menu with a left-click of the mouse button, and the menu opens on Windows without releasing the button. I need to release the button so context menu items don't get activated. Thanks for the help.
Alice775 wrote:If you want to open contextmenu after rught mouse button release, set ui.context_menus.after_mouseup = true.
Thanks! That works for Linux. =D>

I wonder why it works that way for Firefox and Thunderbird on Windows with it set to "false"?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

I'm not sure, but it may just be that they have no control over it on Windows, whereas they can choose between the two behaviors on Linux.
Gusar

Re: [Solved] Context Menu activation problem

Post by Gusar »

Firefox is simply following OS conventions. Windows does the menu on button-release, so Firefox does too. But on Linux, all GTK applications show the menu on button-down, and while Firefox is not actually a GTK application, it nevertheless follows the GTK behavior. But this was a problem for mouse gesture extensions, so that option was introduced to make life easier for Linux users who want to use gestures.