space at both ends of tab bar

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
BruceAWittmeier

space at both ends of tab bar

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Can I add space by .css to both ends of the tab bar?

Tried this but fails:

Code: Select all

#TabsToolbar {
    margin-left: 32px  !important;
    margin-right: 32px  !important;
}
also tried same with padding-left:
padding-right:
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
streetwolf

Re: space at both ends of tab bar

Post by streetwolf »

WFM. I assume you are using userChrome.css to contain your code. If this is your first time using userChrome.css you need to set the pref "toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets" to TRUE to enable userChrome.css to work..
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6600 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
BruceAWittmeier

Thank you streetwolf. Yes, I am modifying userChrome.css in the chrome directory. I made that change. Mine was set false however I am still unable to make any userChrome.css changes show in Firefox. I have viewed code from several sources online so I am uncertain of the proper names and syntax.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gateke ... s.only.xul"); /* only needed once */

#TabsToolbar {
margin-left: 32px !important;
margin-right: 32px !important;
}

If this doesn't work perhaps there is another pref that needs to be toggled although I don't think this is the case. Try with a new profile. Mabye an add-on or another pref is causing your problem. Don't forget to have the pref I mentioned set to TRUE.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6600 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Are you already using userChrome.css with other code that might interfere ?

Note that Firefox can show spacers at the start and end.

Code: Select all

.titlebar-spacer[type="pre-tabs"],
.titlebar-spacer[type="post-tabs"] {
    width: 40px;
}
See also:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... er_Toolbox
BruceAWittmeier

Thank you for posting.
No I was not using a dirty .css file that might be the problem -- I started clean.
I figured out the problem. The restart button addon I was using does not do the depth of restart necessary to allow changes to the .css files to take effect. Once I made the changes and shut down completely and restart the changes show up.

Addon -- Restart Browser -- Allows to restart the browser with a button.

However, the changes I made do not accomplish what I wanted. If you double-click the tab bar it will open a new tab. The problem I have is when I have about 8 tabs open there is no space outside the tabs to do this. I wanted to force some space outside but it is not the same as inside the first tab and close button which I have added.

I will try dickvl's code and see if that will work for me.
OnEdit: dickvl's code did not work for me.

Thanks again.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You should have the plus button to open a new tab and if you have that many tabs open that no free space is available then clicking this button shouldn't be a problem.
You can possibly move this plus button to the far left or right end of the Tab bar.
BruceAWittmeier

No plus sign here. I read many posts that it may have been removed.

OnEdit: Through searching I was able to find enough on the '+' sign for adding a new tab. I ended up reverting back to default and it appeared. I moved it to the available options. I added back my addons and put the '+' sign at the end -- it is still there.