Too much vertical spacing in menus with latest version

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
blued

Re: Too much vertical spacing in menus with latest version

Post by blued »

Yep, about config no longer works on latest 91.0 stable. This is very annoying and is worse on large screens. Why did someone decide to ruin things with this stupid spaced out menu and then remove the option to fix it?

Edit: fortunately made a backup before updating to 91.0 and to which I reverted to.
CBI Web

Post by CBI Web »

blued wrote:Yep, about config no longer works on latest 91.0 stable. This is very annoying and is worse on large screens. Why did someone decide to ruin things with this stupid spaced out menu and then remove the option to fix it?

Edit: fortunately made a backup before updating to 91.0 and to which I reverted to.
The CSS solution mentioned earlier in this thread works perfectly. :)
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

In other words, short answer to what I was seeking today, a fix to the awful spaced-out bookmarks, is that there IS none?
TimAdye

Post by TimAdye »

I have been using the CSS fragments here in my userChrome.css and it restored the Firefox menus to a reasonable size. Thanks to Gone Postal!

Unfortunately Firefox 92.0 has now made things a bit worse. The bookmarks menu is still good, but my bookmark toolbar menus now have additional spacing. It's not as bad as it was without these userChrome.css fixes, but still too large.

I had a look around with the DOM inspector and found a fix for this latest issue. In case anyone else finds this useful, I added the following to the userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

#PlacesToolbar menupopup :-moz-any(menu,menuitem) {margin:-2px 0 -2px 0!important;}
#PlacesToolbar menupopup :-moz-any(menu:first-child, menuitem:first-child) {margin-top:0px!important;}
#PlacesToolbar menupopup :-moz-any(menu:last-child, menuitem:last-child) {margin-bottom:0px!important;}
As far as I can tell, this also removes the need for notonymous' arrowpanel changes, but it's fine also to leave them in.

Hopefully this will only be necessary until they fix it. Maybe Firefox 93?

For the record, here is everything together with a bit more tidying up. It's all I have in my userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

menupopup :-moz-any(menu,menuitem) {
    margin-top: 1px !important;
    margin-bottom: 1px !important;
    padding-top: 0px !important;
    padding-bottom: 0px !important;
}
menupopup :-moz-any(menu:first-child, menuitem:first-child) { margin-top: 0px !important; }
menupopup :-moz-any(menu:last-child, menuitem:last-child) { margin-bottom: 0px !important; }

#PlacesToolbar menupopup :-moz-any(menu,menuitem) { margin: -2px 0 -2px 0 !important; }
#PlacesToolbar menupopup :-moz-any(menu:first-child, menuitem:first-child) { margin-top: 0px !important; }
#PlacesToolbar menupopup :-moz-any(menu:last-child, menuitem:last-child) { margin-bottom: 0px !important; }