Too much vertical spacing in menus with latest version

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
CBI Web

Too much vertical spacing in menus with latest version

Post by CBI Web »

I use FF Developer Edition, and it updated to 89.0b2 (64-bit) last night. Now I see there is a LOT of vertical space between items in all menus. I don't mind it in context menus so much, but in my Bookmarks bar... not a fan.

Is there somewhere in FF that I can change it back to the former spacing?
DanRaisch

Re: Too much vertical spacing in menus with latest version

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Builds where pre-release versions are more appropriately discussed.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

CBI Web wrote:I use FF Developer Edition, and it updated to 89.0b2 (64-bit) last night. Now I see there is a LOT of vertical space between items in all menus. I don't mind it in context menus so much, but in my Bookmarks bar... not a fan.

Is there somewhere in FF that I can change it back to the former spacing?
Did you check Bugzilla to see if there was a bug reported about that, or do as most testers should be doing and file one?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

Agree! Too much scrolling!
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

DN123ABC wrote:Agree! Too much scrolling!
Easier to not make a mistake and select the wrong item.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
CBI Web

Post by CBI Web »

DanRaisch wrote:Moving to Firefox Builds where pre-release versions are more appropriately discussed.
WaltS48 wrote:Did you check Bugzilla to see if there was a bug reported about that, or do as most testers should be doing and file one?
My sincere apologies. I've been using Developer Edition for a few years now, and never realized it's a version in development; I thought it was a version for developers, for instance Web developers like myself. That is, I took it as a browser that was ready for release, with special tools for people who develop the Web or whatever.

If I'd known it was a FF version that's still being worked on, I would have known to post in this forum and to check or submit a bug report. My bad.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

As a temporary palliative the following code inserted into a userchrome.css will revert things to something approaching normality:

menupopup :-moz-any(menu,menuitem) {
margin-top:1px!important;
margin-bottom:1px!important;
padding-top:0px!important;
padding-bottom:0px!important;
}
#bookmarksMenu menupopup :-moz-any(menu,menuitem) {
margin-top:1px!important;
margin-bottom:1px!important;
}
menupopup :-moz-any(menu:first-child,menuitem:first-child) {margin-top:0px!important;}
menupopup :-moz-any(menu:last-child,menuitem:last-child) {margin-bottom:0px!important;}

Code slightly edited from the preferred solution at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1191417

Remember to go into about:config and reset toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets to True so that the userchrome.css file is read by Firefox as it opens.
CBI Web

Post by CBI Web »

Gone Postal wrote:As a temporary palliative the following code inserted into a userchrome.css will revert things to something approaching normality:

...<snip>...

Remember to go into about:config and reset toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets to True so that the userchrome.css file is read by Firefox as it opens.
Thank you! I'll implement this first chance I get. Much appreciated!
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

The app menu (From the hamburger icon) is way to big and the spacing is way to large. Got any CSS code to make it look better?
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
notonymous

Post by notonymous »

You might also add:

Code: Select all

:root {
    --arrowpanel-menuitem-margin: 0  !important;
    --arrowpanel-menuitem-padding-block: 4px  !important;
    --arrowpanel-menuitem-padding: 4px  !important;
}
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

At http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14891821, kronckew has proposed a much neater answer which presumably gets at the root cause.

The answer given there is "Work-around: set browser.proton.contextmenus.enabled to 'false' in about:config. The other proton entries can remain at 'true'." The edits in the userChrome.css file can be removed.
Are You A Wiiizard?

Post by Are You A Wiiizard? »

Gone Postal wrote:At http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14891821, kronckew has proposed a much neater answer which presumably gets at the root cause.

The answer given there is "Work-around: set browser.proton.contextmenus.enabled to 'false' in about:config. The other proton entries can remain at 'true'." The edits in the userChrome.css file can be removed.
Not really the best solution for people using Dark theme as the old context menu comes up in white.
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

Gone Postal wrote:At http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14891821, kronckew has proposed a much neater answer which presumably gets at the root cause.

That works now, but the Proton configurations will go away in a couple of releases.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

Just for confirmation, I'm now on v91.0b2 and the proton tweaks using about:config no longer work. Time to implement the css file.
CBI Web

Post by CBI Web »

Gone Postal wrote:Just for confirmation, I'm now on v91.0b2 and the proton tweaks using about:config no longer work. Time to implement the css file.
Yes, I noticed that a couple days ago when my FF updated. Bummer.