FIREFOX NEW VERSION 90 Beta 1 BIG GLITCH

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
randyandy

FIREFOX NEW VERSION 90 Beta 1 BIG GLITCH

Post by randyandy »

Hello, moments ago I was prompted that a new beta update was ready for installation.

I followed the usual procedures. When I clicked on restart it took considerable time to load the main page. But I didn't get the main page.

The computer screen was WHITE full screen. BLANK. And that's the way it stayed. I closed the page using the Firefox taskbar icon...X.

Failed to load the Google main page or anything else for that matter using the Taskbar and Start menu. Firefox functioned just fine until I tried to install 90 Beta 1.

As a last resort I typed Firebox into Search programs and Files. That did the trick and first stop when the Goggle main page appeared I turned to you good people

on the mozillaZine Forum.

HELP, PLEASE....AND THANKS. Until this problem is resolved I'll use the Search programs and Files access.
John

p.s. When I opened Settings, Firefox Update History ...it states this update was successful.
DanRaisch

Re: FIREFOX NEW VERSION 90 Beta 1 BIG GLITCH

Post by DanRaisch »

Any particular reason you are using a beta version?
randyandy

Post by randyandy »

Hi Dan. Any reason I shouldn't be using the beta version? When a more computer-wise friend set up my new system, apps, etc., eons ago....I told him Firefox was to be my default browser.
He then set Firefox updates on the beta channel, Nick said I'd thank him down the road. And for the most part its been A-OK.

The problem I explain top of page somehow cured itself. The Google main page is loading again. Extremely SLUGGISH. About the time it takes to boil an egg.

Kind regards from Beautiful British Columbia!
randyandy

Post by randyandy »

I'm back and the news isn't good.I spoke too soon.First the problems with Firefox 90 beta 1 that I explain top of this page.Then suddenly it was working albeit very slowly.But not for long. Suddenly froze with a solid white page. By clicking the cursor top left I suddenly got a drop-down menu, clicked ABOUT and found a new update. 90 beta 2 . Update history shows it was a successful install. I clicked install and then restart .Still no sign of the Google main page. The page was blank top to bottom, side to side. There was no menu available on the top left nor the icons on the upper right. . After installing 90 beta 2 and restart...I found myself locked into the blank page again. I could not close it. I had to perform a computer restart...then a forced shutdown. I restarted the computer, but nervous about clicking the Firefox icon, I once again used the Search programs and and Files option and here I am again...asking for help or an explanation.
Everything was running smoothly...with version 89.0 installed May 28th. Sorry if I'm rambling. But this has been a disturbing day. The infrequent foibles of the Beta channel I guess.
Kind regards , John
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I think your statement of how you wound up on the Firefox Beta channel tells why you might not want to be on it. Beta versions are pre-release software and will more frequently have bugs, regressions, and other issues than the release versions. Under normal circumstances, only those quite comfortable installing/uninstalling and troubleshooting software would opt for using Beta or Nightly versions.

For the moment, try launching Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode: Make sure Firefox is closed, then hold down the Shift key and launch the program. That will temporarily disable all installed extensions, themes, as well as switching off hardware acceleration (relating to graphics) to see if one of those elements are involved in the problem.
randyandy

Post by randyandy »

Thanks Dan. Postscript. All is well. Awoke this morning, clicked on the Firefox icon....and found myself quickly on the Google main page. How I don't care. Everything seems to be OK.

I've thought a few times about getting off the Beta channel but the procedure to do this is too complex for my low grade PC I.Q.

Thanks for your time....and special regards to the Beta channel team!