new dark 'about' pages

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
custom.firefox.lady

new dark 'about' pages

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

In a recent Nightly build, Fx has made the about: pages (newtab, addons, etc.) very dark. I know it's triggered by my darkish AMO background theme, but is there any way to keep the theme (which is not nearly black like the about: pages have become) while reverting the about: pages to a lighter color?
Fanolian

Re: new dark 'about' pages

Post by Fanolian »

If bug 1741931, which has landed in build 20211119212937, doesn't fix it for you, you may try setting layout.css.prefers-color-scheme.content-override to 1 for light mode.
This pref affects all websites in addition to about:* though.

Reference 1 Reference 2
custom.firefox.lady

Fanolian wrote:If bug 1741931, which has landed in build 20211119212937, doesn't fix it for you, you may try setting layout.css.prefers-color-scheme.content-override to 1 for light mode.
This pref affects all websites in addition to about:* though.

Reference 1 Reference 2
Ok, so got update to 20211120090421. Which fixed it...except that it made the tabs/toolbar/menubar text black making that difficult to read. Then I disabled/re-enabled the theme...which fixed the text, but made the about: pages black again. So I set layout.css.prefers-color-scheme.content-override to 1 (I'm fine with pref affecting websites), which seems to fix things. (A few restarts thrown in there; not necessarily related). Perils of running Nightly, I guess, but hope this gets sorted before it progresses to release. Any more known relevant bugs?

I can investigate further later, if need be.
Fanolian

Post by Fanolian »

custom.firefox.lady wrote: Ok, so got update to 20211120090421. Which fixed it...except that it made the tabs/toolbar/menubar text black making that difficult to read. Then I disabled/re-enabled the theme...which fixed the text, but made the about: pages black again.
I can investigate further later, if need be.
Seems like bug 1742237 (with the actual fix at bug 1741900 perhaps). But I don't know about the "made the about: pages black again" part.
I saw that too with a Colorways theme.
custom.firefox.lady

Thanks for the info. I confirm that as mentioned in Bug 1742237, it doesn't repro in a new profile, but apparently only in a profile that uses a darkish theme on an older build, upon getting updated to a newer build. The dark about: pages don't turn light in a new profile when updating, but also require altering layout.css.prefers-color-scheme.content-override (1 or 2 both work for me).