[Linux (Mint)] Update Causes Icon on Panel Change

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
smsmith

[Linux (Mint)] Update Causes Icon on Panel Change

Post by smsmith »

I am running Linux Mint (latest) with Cinnamon desktop environment.

I installed Nightly to /opt and created a launcher in my menu. I then pinned the launcher to the panel. I can start Nightly from that launcher and no new icon is spawned into the panel. Things work as I expect them to.

When I update, a new icon is spawned in the panel when Nightly reopens, and it uses the stock Nightly icon, not the icon I set when defining the launcher. If I close the session and start a new one from the launcher, things work as expected again.

Is this just a quirk of Cinnamon, Mint, or Linux? Is there a way to make it so when the process reopens after updating it remembers to use the launcher in the panel? I am able to edit the .desktop file if something more needs to be added to it.

Contents of the .desktop file.

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Firefox Nightly
Exec=/opt/firefoxNightly/firefox
Comment=
Terminal=false
Icon=firefox-nightly
Type=Application
Thanks for any pro tips!
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Snake4

Re: [Linux (Mint)] Update Causes Icon on Panel Change

Post by Snake4 »

sounds like its a quirk, i do know someone that uses Cinnamon in Fedora Linux an he aint on IRC atm to ask if he can reproduce it.