FF crash when moving BM from today and touch downloads

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
BruceAWittmeier

FF crash when moving BM from today and touch downloads

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

FF crashes

When I try to move some bookmarks from "Today" to another folder and touch the "downloads" folder before it completes FF crashes. This has been happening for a few recent versions -- don't know which versions - 2 or 3 recent.

Steps:
Open Bookmarks (menu bar) > Manage bookmarks
Click "today" group
Move several to another folder (enough to give time to click "downloads")
FF crashes

When I typed this posting into notepad I could make it happen consistently.

I created a new duplicate profile and ran FF from Help/troubleshoot mode without addons. Only thing I kept was the bookmarks. FF crashed when I attempted to move from Today to another folder and clicked "download" folder.

Anyone else?

OnEdit:
I exported and loaded my bookmarks.html file into KompoZer which has always cleaned up the file -- like Tidy.exe. Still crashes with above steps.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
bjherbison

Re: FF crash when moving BM from today and touch downloads

Post by bjherbison »

What is the "Today" folder? I'm not familiar with it, and when I looked I found a bunch of bookmarks for pages I haven't accessed in quite a while.

If the Today folder is supposed to be automatically generated I could see why Firefox doesn't want the contents changed, but it shouldn't crash. (I'll test moving bookmarks out, but not right now -- I unfortunately have too much important context in my session I want to preserve.)

As a work-around, you could copy bookmarks from the Today folder and paste them.
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

Ah, that Today folder! It turns out I have another folder named Today (and I know remember why I created it).

I played around with the History/Today folder and didn't get a crash. When I drag bookmarks out of that folder I got copies of the bookmarks and the Today folder was unchanged. There is a Copy on the menu, and Delete to remove the page from history, but no Move entry.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Thank you for replying.

I just need more patience :)

You cannot move links to the "today" folder manually, only through loading of tabs.

It is not a big deal, but sometimes I get moving quickly and want to grab the stack of "today" links and save for review when I have more time. I do this most when quitting to go do something else.

Thank you again.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.