profile move

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
DN123ABC

profile move

Post by DN123ABC »

I have a new Windows 11 PC.
I have an old Windows 10 PC.
I have Mozilla Firefox 103.0b9 (64-bit) running on both. The new one is with a "blank" profile (nothing there).
I want to move my Firefox from the old PC to the new PC.
I used to use a utility called MozBackup 1.5.1_EN to do this. I think this is way outdated, and no longer useful.
What is the best way to do this now? How do I find my profile locations? It has changed since I have last done this.
Thank you.
DanRaisch

Re: profile move

Post by DanRaisch »

See this article but ignore the references to MozBackup -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

The profiles locations can be found with about:profiles .

The last time I needed to move computers I created a new profile, logged into Firefox Sync to transfer as much as that allows, copied user.js, and reviewed all the settings pages and the modified entries in about:config (adding more to user.js).
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

I know there is aversion to Firefox Sync, but I have never understood why. Helps keep all four of my computers up to date with browsing history and bookmark changes.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
lenny2

Post by lenny2 »

For example, old profile folder xXxXXxXXXX.default, new profile folder yYyyYYyY.default. Delete the contents of the new profile folder.
Copy the content from the old profile folder xXxXXxXXXXX.default to the new profile folder yYyyYyY.default. Restart Firefox twice to create a new cache of autorun add-ons.
Extensions, bookmarks - everything will pick up and work.
The same method works with Firefox.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Personally, I just copy profile folder to a new location, launch profile manager, click create new profile and then select the folder. Never had any problems but there might be some minor hidden issues.
Sorry for my poor English.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

smsmith wrote:I know there is aversion to Firefox Sync, but I have never understood why. Helps keep all four of my computers up to date with browsing history and bookmark changes.
I've never used "Sync". What does it do, and where are the instructions?

If it gets bookmarks, cookies, all histories, settings, etc., then I will try it. Does it also open multiple windows with multiple tabs?

Thank you.
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

DN123ABC wrote:I've never used "Sync". What does it do, and where are the instructions?

If it gets bookmarks, cookies, all histories, settings, etc., then I will try it.
Click on the Firefox hamburger menu on the upper right then click the first item. You create a Firefox account and then you set up Sync.

You can sync bookmarks, history, open tabs, passwords, addresses, credit cards, add-ons, and settings. I think it doesn't get all the settings, but that might be old information.
DN123ABC wrote:Does it also open multiple windows with multiple tabs?
It can sync tabs, but I don't have experience with that.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

bjherbison wrote:
DN123ABC wrote:I've never used "Sync". What does it do, and where are the instructions?

If it gets bookmarks, cookies, all histories, settings, etc., then I will try it.
Click on the Firefox hamburger menu on the upper right then click the first item. You create a Firefox account and then you set up Sync.

You can sync bookmarks, history, open tabs, passwords, addresses, credit cards, add-ons, and settings. I think it doesn't get all the settings, but that might be old information.
DN123ABC wrote:Does it also open multiple windows with multiple tabs?
It can sync tabs, but I don't have experience with that.
I don't want another "account". I have enough as it is. I don't need the spam or snooping. I will try to find the profile locations of old and new, and just move it the old fashioned way.

Thanks anyhow.
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

DN123ABC wrote:I don't want another "account". I have enough as it is. I don't need the spam or snooping. I will try to find the profile locations of old and new, and just move it the old fashioned way.
You are excessively paranoid.
- Some way to identify users is needed for a sync service, that's all the account is.
- I get lots of communication from Mozilla (all requested), but I don't believe there has been any communication about the sync account after the e-mail verification.
- The data is end-to-end encrypted -- there's no way for Mozilla to snoop.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... -tls-fails
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

GHM113 wrote:Personally, I just copy profile folder to a new location, launch profile manager, click create new profile and then select the folder. Never had any problems but there might be some minor hidden issues.
I'm with you just create the profile folder and name first using profile manager. Then just copy the entire profile to the newly created location. Start your browser.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

BruceAWittmeier wrote:I'm with you just create the profile folder and name first using profile manager. Then just copy the entire profile to the newly created location. Start your browser.
This used to be a potentially dangerous way to do things because some extensions used to code the full path into their settings file. So if you moved the profile or copied contents, sometimes things would break. I don't *think* that's as much a concern anymore, though. Cloning my profile takes very little time using Sync.

I did read a thread earlier where somebody complained that Sync musses with the order of the users bookmarks. I don't think I have ever noticed that.

Anyway, we're probably off topic with this Sync talk. Feel free to report me. :D OP, did we get you a satisfactory answer?
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

smsmith -- thanks for the tip. I never had a problem so assumed safe. Assuming can be hazardous too :)
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

bjherbison wrote:The profiles locations can be found with about:profiles .
Here's what this got me:
Profile: default
This is the profile in use and it cannot be deleted.
Default Profile yes

Root Directory C:\Users\yournamehere\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\9jod32fy.default
Local Directory C:\Users\yournamehere\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\9jod32fy.default
Do I move my profile to one or both of these directories, or neither?
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

The above was on the old Windows 10 computer.

Moving to a Windows 11 computer.