Firefox Software Update Pop-Up

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Benny Cemoli

Firefox Software Update Pop-Up

Post by Benny Cemoli »

I haven't used Firefox Nightly in quite a while but got curious as to what's up in the latest cutting edge Firefox so I downloaded Nightly and installed it. No problem there. Got the August 17th build and just figured it would update to the latest nightly after installation. Wasn't wrong. Received notification a download was available. Accepted download and downloaded the update. The thing is that after the download a screen popped up headed "Software Update" that I've never seen before in a nightly update. What bothered me most about it was the phrase, "This update requires administrator privileges." I never had to give my administrator credentials to update a version of Firefox Nightly in the past. Firefox Nightly would simply download the update, apply the update on restart and all was well with the world. Of course, the "Details" link just leads to a generic page about the update and doesn't explain exactly WHY the Firefox updater is requiring administrator privileges for this update.

So the question is, Why is Firefox asking for my admin password and what is it actually DOING that it need admin privileges. (Oh, and I posted this in the General section so as not to clutter up the Builds section. If it better belongs there please feel free to move it.)

Thanks in advance for any insights anyone might have.

therube

Re: Firefox Software Update Pop-Up

Post by therube »

Does Mac have the concept of (Windows UAC, or otherwise) "admin" privileges?

(And yes, belongs in Builds.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

I've had the Admin pop up twice in many years. Usually after I manually trigger a check for updates, and it prompts to restart Firefox. I know it's not an answer, but just wanted to share that it does happen from time to time.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Moved to Firefox Builds.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.