prefs.js entry prevents FF from restarting

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
BruceAWittmeier

prefs.js entry prevents FF from restarting

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

This line from my prefs.js file was preventing FF from restarting. Anyone know what it means or if it is needed or what added it to my prefs.js file? Seems to work fine without it.

Code: Select all

user_pref("privacy.sanitize.pending", "[{\"id\":0,\"itemsToClear\":[\"cache\",\"cookies\",\"offlineApps\",\"history\",\"formdata\",\"downloads\"],\"options\":{\"ignoreTimespan\":true,\"range\":null,\"progress\":{\"clearHonoringExceptions\":true}}}]");
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
therube

Re: prefs.js entry prevents FF from restarting

Post by therube »

Mine only has:

[{"id":"newtab-container","itemsToClear":[],"options":{}}]
(No idea what it is for or what "created it".)

Can we assume you have set your end to clear cache, cookies, history... on Quit (or something like that)?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
BruceAWittmeier

Thanks for posting.
It could have been a crash (happens frequently) or a cleanup utility like Glary Disk Utilities or BleachBit (if it's good enough for Hillary, it's good enough for me :) )
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/s ... sys.mjs#44

/**
   * During a sanitization this is set to a JSON containing an array of the
   * pending sanitizations. This allows to retry sanitizations on startup in
   * case they dind't run or were interrupted by a crash.
   * Use addPendingSanitization and removePendingSanitization to manage it.
   */
  PREF_PENDING_SANITIZATIONS: "privacy.sanitize.pending",
Maybe remove some items in the "Clear history when Firefox closes" settings.
BruceAWittmeier

This is related to the dickvl's comment above.
It is also related to this thread http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3104267

user_pref("privacy.sanitize.pending", "[{\"id\":\"newtab-container\",\"itemsToClear\":[],\"options\":{}}]"); <-- Mine
[{"id":"newtab-container","itemsToClear":[],"options":{}}] <-- theRube's

Mine is similar to theRubes but remains slightly different and with different syntax.

This is after unselecting "Browser & download history"
user_pref("privacy.sanitize.pending", "[{\"id\":0,\"itemsToClear\":[\"cache\",\"cookies\",\"offlineApps\",\"history\",\"formdata\",\"downloads\"],\"options\":{\"ignoreTimespan\":true,\"range\":null,\"progress\":{\"clearHonoringExceptions\":true}}},{\"id\":1,\"itemsToClear\":[\"cache\",\"cookies\",\"offlineApps\",\"history\",\"formdata\",\"downloads\"],\"options\":{\"ignoreTimespan\":true,\"range\":null}}]");

Any suggestions?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If there are operations pending then this means that Firefox wasn't able to finish those tasks the last time you closed the browser.
In that case Firefox tries again on the next start and apparently fails to finish those tasks.
This is usually about what you clear via "Clear history when Firefox closes", so you can try to disable this feature and re-enable one at the time to find out where it goes wrong.
BruceAWittmeier

Thanks dickvl for the information.