Default browser logs in Event Viewer Windows [SOLVED]

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
TheVisitor

Default browser logs in Event Viewer Windows [SOLVED]

Post by TheVisitor »

Starting on 3/9/23 and continuing I'm seeing this in the Windows Event Viewer at 9:17AM, now with the change to DST 10:17AM EDT

INFO - Using remote settings URL: https://firefox.settings.services.mozil ... ords/state

Why is this showing up or even taking place checking if Fiefox/Nightly build, is checking for Default Browser when I have that check in Settings
un-checked Under Settings/General/ Startup: I have unchecked : Always check if Nightly is your default browser.
Last edited by TheVisitor on March 14th, 2023, 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snake4

Re: Default browser logs in Event Viewer Windows

Post by Snake4 »

i wouldn't know but just a guess is that it has something to do with Microsoft an Edge, Alice might be able to give a better answer here
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Snake4 wrote:i wouldn't know but just a guess is that it has something to do with Microsoft an Edge, Alice might be able to give a better answer here
Not sure why Edge would be involved, as it is already my Default browser. Never have set Nightly as my default, even though I use it 99.9% of the time.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

TheVisitor wrote:
Snake4 wrote:i wouldn't know but just a guess is that it has something to do with Microsoft an Edge, Alice might be able to give a better answer here
Not sure why Edge would be involved, as it is already my Default browser. Never have set Nightly as my default, even though I use it 99.9% of the time.
i got Nightly as my Default Browser, i probably should since Firefox uses Most of Chrome/Chromium nowadays anyway. now iknow you have Edge as Default Browser i dont have any real other answer as to why that'd be, Alice would be the one to answer it i guess
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

@Snake4, I'm going to guess that some patch that landed changed some telemetry stuff, and this is broke something in the reporting. Why the information is showing up
the Windows Event Manager, I have no idea, never noticed it before the 9th as as I above.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Mystery solved. I decided to check the Windows Scheduler and Mozilla has added a 'task' to check for Default browser and is supposed to prompt (nag I would guess) that Nightly is NOT
the default.
Description from the 'Task':
The Default Browser Agent task checks when the default changes from Firefox Nightly to another browser. If the change happens under suspicious circumstances, it will prompt users to change back to Firefox Nightly no more than two times. This task is installed automatically by Firefox Nightly, and is reinstalled when Firefox Nightly updates. To disable this task, update the “default-browser-agent.enabled” preference on the about:config page or the Firefox Nightly enterprise policy setting “DisableDefaultBrowserAgent”.

The Pref noted is set to 'True' here... will disable this pref and see if the Events go away in the Event Viewer.