New Experimental Tabbed Browsing Builds

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Canyonero

Post by Canyonero »

I like the new close buttons on the tabs. It does make sense that people would be confused about the old close button, and middle clicking isn't really intuitive. They're not intrusive IMO. I don't use them, but I'm good enough with a mouse not to click on them by accident. They light up when you're hovering on them too (default theme), so its not like there's no indication that you're about to click one.

I don't really understand all the problems with the History that are complained about. Even when I used IE, I don't think I anticipated a new window inheriting the history of the window that created it. Neither do I think tabs should.... but again, I don't think I'd complain if they did. I just don't understand how it confuses people.

Post by ******** »

it would be nice if each tab had its own individual history, which you could see from the menu "Go" or something, because right now, the "Go" menu is rather useless and many people just get rid of it or not use it.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

TabHistory is Maintained on the forward/back arrows...

Post by ******** »

oh yeah, i forgot

well then, they should just get rid of the "Go" menu altogether!
but then i guess there will be accessibility issues and the such...

oh well
Govio

Post by Govio »

I think google has a good point about FLST (focus last selected tab) response as well, when you open a new tab and then close it, you kind of expect to return to the page you were on. This is especially true with a webapp like gmail, so I see why they would argue for a default that works well for them. On the other hand, FLST is less predictable than the current method about which tab will remain when a tab is closed, so I can see that some people would like the more predictable way it is now.

New options and prefs visible to UI are often disliked, but these issues (tab close buttons on all tabs and FLST) seem like areas where people are likely to differ in their likes. A close button on the active tab seems like most people could get behind it, but FLST seems like half would like and half would dislike. I don't know about close button on all tabs- are there many people who like it? It does allow the closing of background tabs if you don't have a middle click mouse, but it adds the danger of accidentally closing when you mean to select. And it takes away space that could be used to display more of tab titles. Just a guess, but I suspect the majority would not want the close buttons on background tabs. The question is, is it 40% who would like it, so it should be a visible pref, or is it 5% so it should only be available in a hidden pref, or an extension?

Post by ******** »

knowing what percentage of Firefox users prefer what would require a widespread poll and the only way to get accurate results would be to poll people directly from the mozilla.org site or something even average users would answer.
Lost User 59366

of tab close buttons , TBE v TMP

Post by Lost User 59366 »

Relatively to the close button issue, check out latest TBE where the the buttons can be present on all tabs, just the tab bar, just the active tab, selectable always visble on tab/s or only on hover , or a combination of these.

For my use I find TBE to be just as stable as TMP, and given the number of extensions I use, >=80, both of these at times have problems with other extensions. Depending on which other major extensions are conflicting at any given moment, determines which of these I use. (TMP does get upgraded quicker.) I prefer TBE because it does more in terms of: very nice settable min/max width , autoresizing, number of tabs per line, highlighting active vs read and unread tabs, allows more flexibility in links and popups,etc. TBE does a better job of autoresizing and line reflow. Right now TMP tab numbering works better than TBE's. Very important for me is that TBE eliminates the need to use a number of other extensions such as TBP, sessions saver, TabX, and several others. TMP doesn't do this as well since it is aimed differently. A lot of small extensions gives me more problems than one comprehensive extension. They each have a place. That's what so good about the FF concept, everyone can have their own "very best browser"!

As with most FF extensions and FF itself, there needs to be more consistent and thorough documentation on usage for both of these complex extensions. Documentation needs to get an higher priority in FF development. For official listing perhaps extension authors should be required to include a documentation file. These should be plain text files stored in a common HelpDir in the profile. (Please don't load into memory! Too much useless code bloat already stored in memory -- other localizations, code for other platforms, credits, etc,-- just slows down loading and operation. None of these need to be kept in active memory. Disk access is fast enough to retrieve when needed.)

Well sometimes one just finds a soapbox under ones feet......