New tabbed browsing behavior (in Firefox trunk builds)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

one more question, are these changes being landed on trunk to test before landing on mozilla1.8, or are these just for firefox 3.0?
toscha42

Post by toscha42 »

Ben_ wrote:Any idea when the Mac OS X trunk with these features will be released and where I will be able to get it? Also, is there a site which lists changes included in each nightly build?

I'm not using Mac but you should get trunk builds for Mac from: ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/tinderbox-builds/cadence-trunk/

For the 'release notes' the daily postings "The Official Win32 20060121 [Trunk] build is out." in mozillaZine provide a good overview:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=23

Ciao
Toscha
aronin

Post by aronin »

A few things which I believe should be given (either as default or as an Option for the user to set):
- Open New Tabs from Address Bar/Search Bar/Bookmarks/History/Links & whether to load them in the foreground or background

I know this can be currently done with a middle click on Links/Bookmarks/History, but thats really a difficulty for people working on Laptops and Ctrl+Click is not the best way to open new tabs (and Ctrl+click does not work for Address Bar). The annoying part really is that everytime I open a new address from the address bar, it over-writes my current tab (ofcourse I have extensions to avoid this), but since changes are being made to Tab Browsing in Firefox, I think this option must be added under Options->Tabs... i.e. 'Do not overwrite the Current Active Tab' while opening new address/bookmarks/history/links to other sites....

Frankly I think users must look at Tab Mix Plus (since that is the most comprehensive Tab Browsing extension) and pick out the most useful options/ options used by most people as default etc and include it in firefox. I don't mean to include all of them by any means, but just 3-5 most useful ones.
onemen

Post by onemen »

Cusser ,
i don't think that "Disable Targets For Downloads" is dirty hack. :)

if you have in mind more clean hack, i will be happy to here about it.
RyanVM

Post by RyanVM »

ColdFusion650 wrote:one more question, are these changes being landed on trunk to test before landing on mozilla1.8, or are these just for firefox 3.0?
The very first post in this thread from mbeltzner says they changes are being included in Fx2.0...
mbeltzner wrote:These ideas were being considered for Firefox 1.5, but were eventually decided to be too major a change to take late in the cycle. We're quite keen on <a href="http://wiki.mozilla.org/Tabbed_Browsing">improving tabbed browsing</a> for <a href="http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:2.0_Product_Planning:Draft_Plan">Firefox 2</a>, though, with the specifc goals improving the discoverability and common tab interaction tasks (opening, closing, switching).
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

oops, my bad. does anybody have an answer to my other two questions?
Last edited by ColdFusion650 on January 21st, 2006, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben_

Post by Ben_ »

toscha42 wrote:I'm not using Mac but you should get trunk builds for Mac from: ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/tinderbox-builds/cadence-trunk/

For the 'release notes' the daily postings "The Official Win32 20060121 [Trunk] build is out." in mozillaZine provide a good overview:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=23
Thanks for the info Toscha, The FTP directory at that address has nothing in it so I'm assuming the mac version hasn't been released yet.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Ben_ wrote:Thanks for the info Toscha, The FTP directory at that address has nothing in it so I'm assuming the mac version hasn't been released yet.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... tia-trunk/ is the one you want.
toscha42

Post by toscha42 »

Ben_ wrote:Thanks for the info Toscha, The FTP directory at that address has nothing in it so I'm assuming the mac version hasn't been released yet.

There's another one in ftp.mozilla.org/mozilla/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/tinderbox-builds/columbia-trunk-fs called firefox-1.6a1.en-US.mac.dmg (210106). As I'm not using Macs unfortunately I don't know whether it might work on your system as well.

Ciao
Toscha
Peter(6)

Post by Peter(6) »

ByTor201 wrote:What's needed for the case when too many tabs are open is the ability to scroll through the tabs. It would eliminate the need for tabs to repeatedly be compressed to the point where the close button disappears.
Who dares.....
There aren't that many options.
1. add a scrollbar, which is kinda ugly, but way better than compressing tabs to the point of becoming useless because you can't recognise anything but the favicon if you go to the extreme
2. do like e.g. Windows XL and add [<<][<] and [>][>>] buttons.
I experimented with option 1, and it isn't too bad, I'd love to try option 2 and see how that looks/works
nightly build threads 20040225 (FF 0.8.0+) - 20120331 (FF14a)
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

just in case somebody who knows missed this on the previous page:
ColdFusion650 wrote:i found all these changes listed on bonsai: add close buttons to tabs, improve the reselection behavior of new tabs opened especially in single window mode, simplify the preferences available for tabs, and improve the visual appearance of keyboard-focused tabs.

is that everything? and where can i found some userchrome code for the close tab button back where it was? cause i hate the close buttons on the tabs.
supergirl260

Post by supergirl260 »

maybe have tabs so once it fills up the tab bar have a row of tabs be placed below it
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

in case you didn't know, theres already an extension for that.
ColeTrickle

Post by ColeTrickle »

i mus say that although i dont really use the closebuttons (middleclick rules :) ) i like em alot, they look very nice :P
Peter(6)

Post by Peter(6) »

ColdFusion650 wrote:in case you didn't know, theres already an extension for that.
But it doesn't solve much if you end up with 4 rows of tabs populating a large section of your screen ;-)
nightly build threads 20040225 (FF 0.8.0+) - 20120331 (FF14a)