undo new tabbed browsing behavior

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
stevebell001

Post by stevebell001 »

and the tab no X add on causes FF to crash if you have clear private data on exit set.

The whole point is not that there is an add on but that there should be asimple choice for the simple user available from the readily accessed menus. Omega - I drive one of those but mines an Elite - You say your background is through the Mozilla suite which is where I found the old discussions, so this change reverts back to your accustomed behaviour not detracts from your accustomed behaviour.
It works yes, but the required change of mind focus from thought processes to window manipulation is a serious flaw for those of us who have only just found a product that actually works the way that we do. The biggest gripe with the web is searching, as everyone says it is like going to a car boot sale, you go out for 1 thing and come back with a load of junk that attracted your attention. This one stop button click meant that you could open all the relevant items from a search in Tabs and the other maybe interesting ones in new windows thus keeping a focus and then without thinking flick through the tabs closing the irrelevant ones. This had been missing from the web from day one. It is the thing that home users like.

What in effect is happening here is that the geeks/techies like one behaviour, but the simple home users like an alternative, but the way the product is going, instead of the solution being readily available to the techies, who can find it and implement it, the "solution" will have to be found by the simple home users, who for the most part know about the on off switch. It is putting the emphasis the wrong way round. On one of Bens bogs he said he wanted to do something for the milions, but this poorly implemented idea will severely dent his dreams of world domination unless it is taken back on mainstream and implemented as a SIMPLE option for the simple users.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

stevebell001 wrote:On one of Bens bogs

I presume you mean "Blog" ?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
stevebell001

Post by stevebell001 »

That's cheered me up. Must learn to type! Mind you I am trying to stop Firefox just being a flash in the pan.
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

dodgy wrote:The Tab No X Extension doesn't work with the latest nightly build of FF (I guess since the bookmarks changed) - can this be fixed somehow?

wfm. have u tried it with a new profile? the old qute theme i was using messed up the close buttons, but once it was updated to work with places, it was fine. try using a new profile with the only modification being tab no x.

stevebell001 wrote:tab no X add on causes FF to crash if you have clear private data on exit set.

ive heard you say that before, and its still wfm. and your still the only one saying that. i have it clear the cache on exit, without prompting. and no crash. and theres only 1 line of javascript in tab no x. theres not much of chance of it crashing. id guess that something else is doing this for you. do the same thing as dodgy.
stevebell001

Post by stevebell001 »

Grayson, you could be right but it is on two setups in different locations with different add ons. I have never touched a profile so they will be whatever they were.

I learnt years ago that my major contribution to testing was to be the average user where you find most bugs. Much as we hate it the average user uses the product out of the box, presses whatever buttons they can find and only resorts to RTFM when all else fails.
One old company used ex developers for testing and sure enough they read the manuals, treated the products with the respect they deserved. The products all passed their trials and had a mtbf of less than an hour. I came along and took the attitude that whatever the manual said, I as a user wanted it to work my way or at least not fail if I tried it. None of the products passed their test first time. On the next release the whole company changed, entire project teams were seconded to the testing exercise and we got mtbfs up to days (an achievement in those days).

When I have time I will experiment, but it still does not detract from the fact that if it is only one line of javascript, it would be a trivial exercise to make it a mainstream runtime option picked from a menu.
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

i assume uve turned clear private data on and off to confirm that that is what is causing it. what settings do u have for clear private data? i have "cache" and "clear private when closing firefox" checked, and nothing else. maybe theres a particular setting thats causing it. but like i told someone who mailed me about an ie view lite problem, if i cant see the bug, i cant fix it. no matter how much i want to.
dodgy

Post by dodgy »

[edited] - ignore me, it works just fine. I'd totally forgotten which way was which.