undo new tabbed browsing behavior

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Landonian wrote:Then there is a bug because i have mine set to the option shown above but it is allowing windows that used to be forced to open in tabs to open in thier own seperate windows. I will do some testing with a blank profile in a tiny bit.

Toggle the preference to windows, then back to tabs. If it starts working again, this is a known/reported bug.
Landonian

Post by Landonian »

Ok thanks. I was just about to say that it apears that it doesn't work by default and has to be manually toggled before starting to work.
Daniel.Car

Post by Daniel.Car »

In case you are having trouble finding this extension like I did, it is located here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... 00&id=1919

Thanks for the extension Grayson!
Daniel
anotheridentity

make it an option!!

Post by anotheridentity »

this new tab behavior sucks so much and will probably keep me from updating - that single close tab button was TEH feature that keept me from migrating to safari/camino!

I hate it to waste so much movements and attention-span to close tabs. the fact that the position of the close buttons on the tabs changes everytime I close a tab is annoying and constantly demands to change the focus of attention away from the content to the ui. sucks!

my typical usage pattern is as follows: I go to a site, say google news, click a dozen of links that load as tabs. then I read one after the other and close them with one click. no mouse-movement necessary, no reassessing of where is what on the screen.

I understand that some people prefer the close button on the tab, but please make it an option to have the old behavior!!!!

thx
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

@anotheridentity: wow. go take your meds and then download tab no x.
supergirl260

Re: make it an option!!

Post by supergirl260 »

anotheridentity wrote:this new tab behavior sucks so much and will probably keep me from updating - that single close tab button was TEH feature that keept me from migrating to safari/camino!

I hate it to waste so much movements and attention-span to close tabs. the fact that the position of the close buttons on the tabs changes everytime I close a tab is annoying and constantly demands to change the focus of attention away from the content to the ui. sucks!

my typical usage pattern is as follows: I go to a site, say google news, click a dozen of links that load as tabs. then I read one after the other and close them with one click. no mouse-movement necessary, no reassessing of where is what on the screen.

I understand that some people prefer the close button on the tab, but please make it an option to have the old behavior!!!!

thx

install https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... 00&id=1919
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

please keep the !'s and "suck"s and "TEH"s to a minimum. people who type in a manner that is perceived as yelling, or as if they have not taken their medication, will be labeled as screaming banshees, and you don't want that brought on yourself. i know the close buttons on tabs are bad. but have a coke and a smile before you post here.
bizarrojack

Post by bizarrojack »

The part I miss the most is the "new tab" button on the left, still. it seems so much more appropriate to have it on the tab bar than some other random bar, and there isn't always any room to doubleclick, or it's 2 pixels wide and you have to carefully point the mouse.

I hate it to waste so much movements and attention-span to close tabs. the fact that the position of the close buttons on the tabs changes everytime I close a tab is annoying and constantly demands to change the focus of attention away from the content to the ui.

seriously, i agree 100%
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

bizarrojack wrote:it seems so much more appropriate to have it on the tab bar than some other random bar,

That's fine until you close all your tabs and the bar auto-hides.
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

bizarrojack wrote:The part I miss the most is the "new tab" button on the left, still.

ok, since you double posted (against the rules) i already replied to the other one. anyway, there was never a new tab button on the tab bar. its always been on the main toolbar.
bizarrojack

Post by bizarrojack »

That's fine until you close all your tabs and the bar auto-hides

That's if you have autohide turned on. To me (just me) autohide would only be a nuisance.

there was never a new tab button on the tab bar

Don't you think this is a disingenuous way of saying "we used a different name for nearly the same application back when we had the tab button on the tab bar"?

Sorry about the "double post." For some reason I thought I was in 2 different subforums and that they were different enough that I could mention the same thing in two otherwise different posts. Nevermind that that makes no sense, but it's what I was thinking at the time, and it was wrong to do.
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

bizarrojack wrote:
ColdFusion650 wrote:there was never a new tab button on the tab bar

Don't you think this is a disingenuous way of saying "we used a different name for nearly the same application back when we had the tab button on the tab bar"?

huh?
bizarrojack

Post by bizarrojack »

ColdFusion650 wrote:
bizarrojack wrote:
ColdFusion650 wrote:there was never a new tab button on the tab bar

huh?

I'm just saying yes, there was a new tab button on the tab bar, so consequently, I'm allowed to miss it, and you didn't need to tell me my opinion is wrong.
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

bizarrojack wrote:I'm just saying yes, there was a new tab button on the tab bar

there was never a tab button on the tab bar in firefox. sorry, your wrong

bizarrojack wrote:ou didn't need to tell me my opinion is wrong.

i think you are confused as to the definition of an opinion. saying "there used to be a new tab button on tab bar" is not an opinion. that would be a statement of fact, albeit wrong. an opinion would be like "the button is good." "the button is bad." "the button exists" is not an opinion. don't worry. most people get confused between opinions and wrong statements of fact. it happens all the time.
floydstyle

Post by floydstyle »

I don't understand why you guys don't like x button on every tab. This is the only reason why I personally install tabmix. And oh, to have tabbar on bottom too heh