Nightly XFT Builds

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Shadow3333 wrote:Can people give feedback over the tarballs i build and on wich Distro's they work? I'm very curious by nature :)

Where can I download it from? It is Ryan's page you're talking about?
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
Shadow3333

Post by Shadow3333 »

daihard wrote:
Shadow3333 wrote:Can people give feedback over the tarballs i build and on wich Distro's they work? I'm very curious by nature :)

Where can I download it from? It is Ryan's page you're talking about?

yup he kindly mirrors them, as my bandwidth is limited to 5 Gb a month.

Here's the link:
http://pryan.org/phoenix/

Won't be serving nightlies over the weekend, you can expect nightlies to appear on Monday again
Franck

Post by Franck »

Using the 20030109 Xft built under RH 8.0 :
works fine with incredible fonts :)
I only loose my bookmarks toolbar folder (no bookmark appears on it)
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Shadow3333 wrote:
daihard wrote:Where can I download it from? It is Ryan's page you're talking about?

yup he kindly mirrors them, as my bandwidth is limited to 5 Gb a month.

Here's the link:
http://pryan.org/phoenix/

Won't be serving nightlies over the weekend, you can expect nightlies to appear on Monday again

Thanks! I'll try it on the weekend.
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
Shadow3333

Post by Shadow3333 »

Franck wrote:Using the 20030109 Xft built under RH 8.0 :

Thanks for your feedback Franck! It's nice to know that people are actually using them :) So you installed the corefonts too? excellent! it looks very nice with the Tahoma font ant XFT.. ::drools:: :)

The proble you are having could be a bug. I will check when i get home.
Franck

Post by Franck »

Shadow3333 wrote:
Franck wrote:Using the 20030109 Xft built under RH 8.0 :

The proble you are having could be a bug. I will check when i get home.

create a new profile solve the problem :)
AkiAki007

Post by AkiAki007 »

Hmm...trying to run Shadow's build from 01/09, but i get nothing.

I had to make a couple of updates to my system (debian), so I installed the libstc++5, also installed corefonts and defoma.

I tried to install the phoenix under Josh'd dist, but that doesn't appear to be a normal build and kept on telling me that it didn't know the moz runtime dir. I'll try his again ina bit...

As for Shadow's build...got it unpacked and tried to execute. No errors, nothing. It just sits there...thinking i suppose :-P ps aux reveals that ./phoenix triggered run-mozilla.sh which ran phoenix-bin (5 times) but nothing came up, and no errors, so i really have no idea what went wrong....any ideas?
Yek

Post by Yek »

Thanks to all of you contributers for saving me from my own infrequent builds :) I noticed you were doing this a couple days ago and have been using each new build (from Shadow and Joshk) as it appears without any troubles other than those that are just the usual bugs. I must be mistaken, but I thought that joshk mentioned somewhere that he was building his using gcc 2.9xx, but I can see that both builders are using 3.2xx (using the java plugin-not-working as a scrimshaw test). Anyway: Using a couple of soft links, I can just untar any of the builds and run.

I have no idea if this was really fixed or if I could have reinstalled an older build and had the same results, but there's a print bug that I first noticed in the 20030107 build where clicking on 'print' in the File menu will cause phoenix to hard-loop (which can be stopped if you're using the preemptive kernel patches), but I wanted to note that I can't duplicate that bug with either josh's or Shadow's latest builds. I noticed the bug as a new bug in bugzilla (several times in fact) though I don't think all configurations are showing it. I'm using RH8, printing remote to a winprinter on win2k via smbclient/cups and all is well with the 20030110 build as of now. Thanks again and

Thanks to ryan for hosting (if I got any of those names right). It makes testing a heck of a lot easier.
pryan

Post by pryan »

AkiAki007 wrote:I tried to install the phoenix under Josh'd dist, but that doesn't appear to be a normal build and kept on telling me that it didn't know the moz runtime dir. I'll try his again ina bit...

Yeah, joshk creates builds assuming you will untar it from /. In order to run it from somewhere else, you need to edit usr/bin/phoenix and correct the path in the variables moz_libdir and MRE_HOME. For instance, I untar it in /usr/local and rename usr to phoenix. So, the contents of bin/phoenix has the two variables set like this:

Code: Select all

moz_libdir=/usr/local/phoenix/lib/mozilla-1.3b
MRE_HOME=/usr/local/phoenix/lib/mre/mre-1.3b

AkiAki007 wrote:As for Shadow's build...got it unpacked and tried to execute. No errors, nothing. It just sits there...thinking i suppose :-P ps aux reveals that ./phoenix triggered run-mozilla.sh which ran phoenix-bin (5 times) but nothing came up, and no errors, so i really have no idea what went wrong....any ideas?

When that's happened with joshk's builds the reason was the Xft and fontconfig libraries. I have the following versions on by Debian sid box currently:

libxft2: 2.1-6
    fontconfig: 2.1-13
    libfontconfig1: 2.1-13
Shadow3333

Post by Shadow3333 »

First thanks all for the feedback, really enjoy being able to put out these binaries for everyone :)

From monday on i will experiment with even more optimized builds for the Athlon XP line of processors, if there is need for other kind of optimized builds please let me know, this machine i'm using to compile is freakin fast, so it shouldn't take to much time to build P4 builds or whatever :)
Franck

Post by Franck »

Using the phoenix-xft-martijn-i686-pc-linux-gnu-20030114 build without any problem :
-passwords and cookies ok
-extensions installation (tabbed browsing, preferential...) ok

Thanks for these builds :)
Shadow3333

Post by Shadow3333 »

Franck wrote:Using the phoenix-xft-martijn-i686-pc-linux-gnu-20030114 build without any problem :
-passwords and cookies ok
-extensions installation (tabbed browsing, preferential...) ok

Excellent, using that one too right now :)