Looking for rock-solid recent build

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

sweetdude wrote:because one of the main objectives (in the beginning of phoenix) and i quote form the developer guide lines

Beginning with the core Mozilla code, unnecessary UI was removed, existing UI were refined and new UI added with the goal of providing efficient (speedy, easy to use, useful) web access.

So it had to be sleek

[edit]please don't quote the person directly above it makes the treads hard to read. The quote is meant to be used when repling on a person a few replies up.

Yeah, but most if not all people use these things. So, what is "speedy, easy to use, useful" about the extra steps needed to get this browser working properly? Nothing speedy about having to do all these installs individually.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

This one has been good so far, but one day's worth isn't really a good gauge.
I prefer a week's worth, and prior to this one, was running 2/11 I think.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040219 Firefox/0.8.0+
Masticator

Post by Masticator »

I've found the architecture specific builds to be more stable - generally - than the official builds. The main problem -generally- seems to come from incompatible versions of TBE as well as themes. I just landed the Scragz MozillaFirefox-2004021901-O1-G7-SSE2 and I'd say that while it is definitely faster than my previous favorite of the 11.16 aebraheim build it is about 98% of that build stability wise. If you have a P4 and run Win, Scragz's build is pretty impressive - is seems to just suck every last Mhz out of my 900 Mhz FSB and thirst for more. The Pinstripe XP theme seems to complement it well too - just make sure to add the following to your userChrome.css:

/* Fix for button spacing */
#forward-button .toolbarbutton-menubutton-dropmarker { display: none; }
#back-button .toolbarbutton-menubutton-dropmarker { display: none; }
Jimmy_C

Post by Jimmy_C »

I've found the ones just after the release of Firefox 0.8 to be a little shabby (slow, buggy), but the latest ones are really fast and stable. I don't think Firefox crashed on me once while using a build after the middle of the month, and it feels a bit faster than 0.8 for some reason. (At least to me.)
Linux user since Nov. 31, 2003!
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Still on Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040219 Firefox/0.8.0+

Has Stipe done a build since St. Patrick's Day?
Seth Kinast

Post by Seth Kinast »

All of today's builds ( 3-18 ) are rock-solid for me... they're the first one in awhile with zero crashes. I am, however, using a completely new profile &c.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Just wondering whether I should get an installer build or a zip build.
GrailKnight

Post by GrailKnight »

Excellent build:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040318 Firefox/0.8.0+ (BlueFyre)

New profile, new install of everything Firefox related for that matter.

I do not like the installer builds myself Sasquatch.
I like the ability to Unzip the program, dump my bookmarks, plugins etc... into the unzipped build then drop it where I want make a new profile and start surfing from that point on.

I can live without anymore registry entries then I have now.
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact". - Sherlock Holmes
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

I was thinking the registry entries are the good part about the installer build so the email talks to the browser, and the browser talks to java and flash players.