middle mouse buttons pastes url (20021108 nightly)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
brab

middle mouse buttons pastes url (20021108 nightly)

Post by brab »

I've just noticed that in the latest nightly (it might have worked before though), but middle mouse button pasting into rendering area now works, which is a great improvement :D

I now have a gestures question, as all 3 mouse buttons now have default actions ... What button do you use ? There was this great feature in galeon that only poped up the menu on right click if no mouse gesture was started ... it'd be great to have something similar here.
asa

Re: middle mouse buttons pastes url (20021108 nightly)

Post by asa »

brab wrote:I've just noticed that in the latest nightly (it might have worked before though), but middle mouse button pasting into rendering area now works, which is a great improvement :D<snip>

wOOt! yes. this seems to have been fixed! I just veririfed on 1108 linux build.

--Asa
Shadowcat

Re: middle mouse buttons pastes url (20021108 nightly)

Post by Shadowcat »

brab wrote:There was this great feature in galeon that only poped up the menu on right click if no mouse gesture was started ... it'd be great to have something similar here.
Aha... I always wondered why on earth the left button was the default for gestures when the right button was so much better... I assume from your comment that under the linux version the context menu opens as soon as the right button is depressed, though?

Under the windows version the menu doesn't pop up until the button is released, so of course I immediately set the gestures to use the right button when I installed it.
--
Shadowcat
One of Many
gonad

thank you

Post by gonad »

A big thank you to the person that fixed this :)
audioaficionado

Post by audioaficionado »

What exactly is this new/enabled feature?

What steps are needed to work it?

Right now my middle button is set up to create a scroll wheel adjustable magnifier.
8) Windows: XPproSP2
8) Gentoo & Overclockix Live CD
8) Latest Firefox of course

Cya later,
Steve
David James

Post by David James »

Copy a url to the clipboard. With the pointer somewhere in the rendering area (ie on the webpage but NOT in a text field like the Message Composition area) click on the middle button and watch as Phoenix now browses to that url.

Btw, it's not a new feature but rather a re-enabled one; NS has had it for eons and so does Moz; Phx didn't have it for some reason.
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
David James

Post by David James »

Oh, and you'll need to ensure that your middle mouse button is set to "Middle Mouse Button" by the mouse driver software rather than something else like Double Clicking or bringing up a context menu. If middle clicking of bookmarks and links is working for you now, then url pasting should work too (oh yes, don't middle click on a link as you'll go to that link rather than pasting the url).
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
audioaficionado

Post by audioaficionado »

Oh well... :|

My middle button is reserverd for my magnifier.

I'd need a 4 button mouse to also use the Phoenix feature.
8) Windows: XPproSP2
8) Gentoo & Overclockix Live CD
8) Latest Firefox of course

Cya later,
Steve
Ploum

Post by Ploum »

Sorry, but I don't understand what this feature is !

When I middle click on a link, it open the link in a new tab (that's not new), but that's all for the middle button (except scrolling).

I have Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.2b) Gecko/20021029 Phoenix/0.4

Must I upgrade something ?
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Ploum wrote:I have Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.2b) Gecko/20021029 Phoenix/0.4

Must I upgrade something ?

Yes. I'm afraid you'd have to upgrade to Linux to make this work :wink:
michal017

Post by michal017 »

hmm.. clicking on an plain-text url on a page with middle mouse button opens the link in the same tab.. wouldn't it be better if it opened the URL in a new tab (or window - based on the user settings)?
Ted Mielczarek

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

michal017 wrote:hmm.. clicking on an plain-text url on a page with middle mouse button opens the link in the same tab.. wouldn't it be better if it opened the URL in a new tab (or window - based on the user settings)?

No, because that would defeat the purpose of this feature. The whole point is to be able to paste a url into the content area and have it load.
michal017

Post by michal017 »

Ted Mielczarek wrote:
michal017 wrote:hmm.. clicking on an plain-text url on a page with middle mouse button opens the link in the same tab.. wouldn't it be better if it opened the URL in a new tab (or window - based on the user settings)?

No, because that would defeat the purpose of this feature. The whole point is to be able to paste a url into the content area and have it load.

I thought it should 'make it feel like plain/text URL is an a href URL'