The Official Win32 20060529 [Trunk] build is out.

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
echoes

Post by echoes »

ok, first off...

i thought bookmarks import was hooked up??

i backed up all my bookmarks (i thought it worked with bookmarks.html now) and then deleted them. now i can't import them again?

help?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060527 Minefield/3.0a1 - Build ID: 2006052710
dao-g

Post by dao-g »

Regis wrote:EDIT: in the mean time feel free to use provided source. The SQL code is simple:

Code: Select all

DROP TABLE "moz_favicon";
(to be executed before a "VACUUM;" if you want to retrieve space.)
EDIT2: NB: droping the favicon table is not the clean way of doing that..

yes, I suggest TRUNCATE TABLE moz_favicon;.

and I do think the sql-files should be automatically cleaned from time to time. the average user won't do it (as with Thunderbird's "Compact Folders", it's not reasonable to occupy gigabytes for email zombies by default ... but that's another topic.)
Peter(6)

Post by Peter(6) »

disturbedite wrote:ok, first off...

i thought bookmarks import was hooked up??

i backed up all my bookmarks (i thought it worked with bookmarks.html now) and then deleted them. now i can't import them again?

help?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060527 Minefield/3.0a1 - Build ID: 2006052710

close FF
place the bookmarks.html in your profile directory
delete or rename bookmarks_history.sqlite
start FF

done
nightly build threads 20040225 (FF 0.8.0+) - 20120331 (FF14a)
echoes

Post by echoes »

i forgot that you had to delete/rename the sqlite file.

thanks so much peter!
Old Regis

Post by Old Regis »

dazio wrote:yes, I suggest TRUNCATE TABLE moz_favicon;

and I do think the sql-files should be automatically cleaned from time to time. the average user won't do it (as with Thunderbird's "Compact Folders", it's not reasonable to occupy gigabytes for email zombies by default ... but that's another topic.)

Drop works too I tested. In fact table is recreated when Firefox start. About cleaning or not I agree those files need some cleanup from time to time. But if you read the devmo article I pointed to, you will see vacuum statement consume time and cpu in a non negligible way on huge files. So the question becomes do you want Firefox to hang sometimes like once a week?
supergirl260

Post by supergirl260 »

well best bet might be too do it in background when user is inactive for like a 2 or more minutes and do it once a week
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

Regis wrote:
supernova_00 wrote:Regis, in the bug you created...pehaps a vacuu should be performed on each shutdown. for users upgrading to 2.0 this should only take a few seconds on first shutdown and each consecutive would only be a split second perhaps.

I did not create any bug, #334010 was created by Brett W.
Uruviel wrote:Regis don't you think that instead of a button to Vacuum the sqlite file a periodic clean-up would be better? This prevents UI clutter and if you do it, say, once every week on startup there wouldn't be a huge hit on performance either

About your proposal regarding a vacuum on every shutdown or a vacuum at a specified interval, I disagree. If you take a look at Vacuuming_and_zero-fill or launch my program 2 times one after the other, you will see it takes a certain amount of time to do the vacuum. So IMHO, the button or menuitem or whatever permit the user to vacuum at will is better. (Note: I think there is an auto-vacuum flag in sqlite)
Anyway, feel free to comment bug 334010 :)

ahh ya I assumed you created it...didn't read the reporter field.

Yeah it isn't faster. I wonder where would be a good place for the option.
dao-g

Post by dao-g »

Regis wrote:Drop works too I tested. In fact table is recreated when Firefox start.

sure, but I thought that's what you described as "not the clean way" ;)

supergirl260 wrote:well best bet might be too do it in background when user is inactive for like a 2 or more minutes and do it once a week

but then it would have to be real inactivity, not just "not browsing".
Old Regis

Post by Old Regis »

dazio wrote:
Regis wrote:Drop works too I tested. In fact table is recreated when Firefox start.

sure, but I thought that's what you described as "not the clean way" ;)

I was thinking about updating bookmark entries which use favicons ;)
Harald.L

Post by Harald.L »

After some weeks with non-cairo builds I tried a cairo hourly again yesterday. But like before it crashes like hell for me on the same pages where non-cairo had no problems in weeks with the same profile and extensions.

The crashes (TB19235642W, TB19222371X, TB19222165K) have a stack signature "fbBltOne b4ef707d" but I can't find any bug for it. But it's on the tinderbox topcrasher page http://talkback-public.mozilla.org/repo ... index.html currently rank 16.

Now I have to decide if I use cairo crashing builds or non-cairo with rendering issues http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=420714

Anyone else with those fbBltOne crashes?

Harald
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Harold
I've never seen any crashes like what is in your talkback here. I'm wondering if maybe its something in your video card/drivers ?

Do you have a site this happens on ?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060528 Minefield/3.0a1,Firefox ID:2006052804 [cairo]
Old Regis

Post by Old Regis »

Littlemutt, it's a Linux framebuffer crash, so if you only use Windows or Linux without FB :)
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Regis, Interesting since the talkback shows Windows as the OS, and build as Window

http://talkback-public.mozilla.org/sear ... B19235642W

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060528 Minefield/3.0a1,Firefox ID:2006052804 [cairo]
Old Regis

Post by Old Regis »

My bad, there is a fbBltOne in libpixman. :oops:
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

I can't get any videos to play at CNN, just kicks an error in the JS console and nothing happens. CNN was working fine for me. Will back up a day or two in builds and retest.