Feature Request: Download Actions split

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

DaCypher wrote:Why force unfriendly UI behavior on a user when they aren't really being protected?

It isn't unfriendly UI. It's much simpler and less broken UI. People need to stop co-opting usability terminology whenever they disagree with a UI decision.

If this is being done for 'phishing' protection, then improve the anti-phishing component. If it is done to prevent virii, then that's not a browsers job, and people should install some AV software (AVG Grisoft, Antivir, Symantec, etc.).

Why not expend that effort fixing this the _actual_ correct way, by evangelising web sites and server software vendors to improve their MIME experience?

- Chris
Lost User 59366

Post by Lost User 59366 »

Don't protect me from myself!

That's my job! Whether it's a product manufacturer or a politician, whenever they claim to be helping me by protecting me from myself I seem to end up with less!
Old Fuziwuzi

Post by Old Fuziwuzi »

Thumper wrote:
DaCypher wrote:Why force unfriendly UI behavior on a user when they aren't really being protected?

It isn't unfriendly UI. It's much simpler and less broken UI. People need to stop co-opting usability terminology whenever they disagree with a UI decision.

If this is being done for 'phishing' protection, then improve the anti-phishing component. If it is done to prevent virii, then that's not a browsers job, and people should install some AV software (AVG Grisoft, Antivir, Symantec, etc.).

Why not expend that effort fixing this the _actual_ correct way, by evangelising web sites and server software vendors to improve their MIME experience?

- Chris
It most definitely *IS* unfriendly. Previously, I could click the file, choose to Open it, it would download and open using the default application without any further intervention from me. Simple, easy, quick. Now, however, I must click the file, with SAVE as my only option, download it, then I must leave the browser, use the operating system to locate the folder where the download was made, open the folder, then open the file. You can justify the additional work all you like, but don't tell me something is "simpler" when it isn't. And when all previous versions of Firefox worked a certain way, IE (both 6 and the new 7) work that way, and Opera works that way... but suddenly someone decides that the "new" Firefox SHOULDN'T work that way... it's going to be an issue. While "technically" you may be correct, PRACTICALLY it is the later versions of Bon Echo that are "broken".
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

fuziwuzi wrote:don't tell me something is "simpler" when it isn't.

For every usage of that dialogue which doesn't involve opening the file in-place, the new UI is simpler. For the open-in-place case, Firefox's old behaviour was an undocumented quirk which shouldn't have been happening. There's no need to optimise for a bug.

fuziwuzi wrote:but suddenly someone decides that the "new" Firefox SHOULDN'T work that way... it's going to be an issue.

Correct. It's just not going to be an important one. A few people who like the current quirky behaviour will very loudly disprove of the change and will eventually be mostly placated by a simple pref flip or extension which reverts the behaviour. People who are annoyed by 1.5's broken UI will feel warm and glowy inside. People who don't try to download files which Apache doesn't assign good MIME types to by default (in other words, most of everybody) will never see any difference.

- Chris
Lost User 41889

Post by Lost User 41889 »

lazka wrote:this behavior sucks.
thats all i can say

Hi,
that's my opinion too.
*I* want to decide to select the download manager ("download with...").

tramp
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

tramp wrote:*I* want to decide to select the download manager ("download with...").

You'll be able to do this as soon as FlashGot is updated. Not the same problem.

- Chris
thomase

Re: Feature Request: Download Actions split

Post by thomase »

HI I use FF3 in Linux Mint and have the above problem, I have used Opera Seamonkey FF2 and IE6 without any problem. This bug/feature is only with FF3 why should the whole world change to suit FF3?? trying to justify the problem with "it's for your own good" is a bit patronizing imo.
FIX IT.
Dartman

Re: Feature Request: Download Actions split

Post by Dartman »

thomase,

You are posting to a thread that is two years old. Firefox 3 wasn't even out then. Start a new thread for your problem.

Also we (this forum) are not Mozilla. In general, do not demand things.

See this link: http://www.mozillazine.org/about/
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.