WT *#@!%^ is "Error... :no XBL binding for browser"

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
inspector71

WT *#@!%^ is "Error... :no XBL binding for browser"

Post by inspector71 »

This is the second or third time I've received this error after trying a new build.

I'm starting to think that since I've not seen this error elsewhere in these forums, it's something quite acute to my setup. Has anybody else experienced this error? If so is there a solution?

I'd hate to think that some obscure problem will prevent me from installing new versions of Fb in the future until I can isolate the problem.

Thanks.
MozJF

Post by MozJF »

Give TBE a little holiday and wait until FB 0.8 is out and a compatible version of TBE is out :)
MozJF
johnleemk

Post by johnleemk »

This is a bug caused by the devs mucking around in the code, thus messing up backwards-compatibility with themes and extensions designed with 0.7 in mind.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050205 Firefox/1.0+
MozJF

Post by MozJF »

Well, you're partly wrong. Extensions coder are not updating their works until 0.8 is out. The same for theme creator. They *have* to wait and build compatible theme.

Firebird is still a work in progress, so extension could be not compatible from version to version.

End of topic for me.
MozJF
inspector71

Post by inspector71 »

Well I suppose I'll forget about testing any builds then because having to turn off TBE is almost like going back to IE for me. TBE should not be an extension. The majority of it should be built into Fb by default.

Next time I come to this forum then I can now happily laugh at the pleas to test from ben because it's just too freaking hard unless I have a separate machine that's never seen Fb before.

On the other hand I could set up a clean test environment to help the team out. Hmm wonder where I can find a cheapo 233 or something.

On the other hand, what is the point in testing just the basics when presumably most people run at least a few extensions?

I dunno... it's frustrating...
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

Strange, I update my build almost daily and have not had ay XBL binding errors in weeks. I would say (if you can) do a complete uninstall of TBE. If you can't, delete it's jar file from your profile folder and restart firebird. Then go to Piro's site:

http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/xul.html.en

And make sure you have the absolute latest version of TBE. If you use TBE you should check Piro's forums occasionally too:

http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/forum/

somestimes he releases test versions there that may fix things, but don't make it onto the main website for days or weeks.
johnleemk

Post by johnleemk »

Yes, there were patched TBE builds available not too long ago, and the newer versions of TBE *should* work - if not, delete the chrome folder in your profile and reinstall any extensions you had.

Well, you're partly wrong. Extensions coder are not updating their works until 0.8 is out. The same for theme creator. They *have* to wait and build compatible theme.

I know that, but let me see if I can get this right:

Code: Select all

0.6 - 0.7 : bindings to widgets
0.7 - 0.8 : widgets to bindings

So, if accounting for this alone, then presumably the 0.6 and earlier extensions/themes should work, although of course I expect a lot of other things have changed between 0.6 and 0.8.
chrisrkline

Post by chrisrkline »

I would get this error message but it would go away if I disabled all extensions before I upgraded and as long as I was in the default theme. After the install, I would enable the extensions, including TBE, and it would work fine.
Yek

Post by Yek »

If its just tbe you're getting that error on (actually other extensions now are falling behind the trunk code as well), then its easily 'fixed' by installing whatever is the latest version of tbe (see above), and then editing (if you installed to application dir) ~./chrome/chrome.rdf, searching for "Widgets" which is in one place at the end of, I think, "tabextensionsWidgets" and replacing it with "Bindings" (or tabextensionsBindings).

Sorry if someone else said that up there. I'm a bit too tired to comprehend :) -- I just did a build today and tbe works fine with that one change. I think 'piro' has had to try to support two or three browsers (mozilla, fb, and netscape), all of which can potentially be at various stages of development, any of which could use Bindings or Widgets today, and has tried to make his 'install.js' routine smarter, (just not smart enough :))

g/l

btw: if you installed tbe to your profile dir, then its as above, but edit {profile-dir}/{profile-name}/*/chrome/chrome.rdf
Krueger_Industrial

Post by Krueger_Industrial »

MozJF wrote:Give TBE a little holiday and wait until FB 0.8 is out and a compatible version of TBE is out :)

Get the latest version of TabBrowserExtensions (dated 12-26-2003) -- it works fine for me with the latest nightly build of Firebird.
Yek

Post by Yek »

The latest that I tried is dated 01-09-2004, and it works fine only if you've already fixed up chrome/chrome.rdf to get rid of the 'tabextensionsWidgets' that's in there and made it 'tabextensionsBindings'. If you've got a version working without doing that, or are using one of my patched versions, then stick with it. It's a small change to fix the .xpi.
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

01-09-2004 is working fine for me unmodified. Maybe it's a trunk vs. branch thing? I'm currently running a branch build (1/14)
Yek

Post by Yek »

Ah -- You're probably right. I haven't tried a branch build for a lot of branches :) (enough to build a couple of trees).
inspector71

Post by inspector71 »

Well her's the latest from me...

I removed TBE via my zipped 0.7 install. Then I re-installed 0.7+ (via the installer) and everything was nice except for some of the extensions I had been using which were not installed to my profile but the main chrome folder (why don't all extension writers give that option?).

I installed TBE from one of the links kindly suggested by Paradox52525.

Still everything was nice however... for me, TBE and RadialContext are what REALLY make Fb an IE killer. So I tried to get the latest RadialContext from texturizer/fb/ext/ (ya all know the URL) and low and behold what happened when I restarted? XBL binding error again. So I went back and mistakenly thought it was TBE again, mistakenly deleted some .jar file whilst looking for the tabextensions.jar file to delete... and so I've got nothing but my old 0.7zip to use. Once again I uninstall 0.7+ as it's completely corrupted.

Next I go back to 0.7zip and try to get TBE again. Although it appears to have installed, I cannot get to the configuration.

So now my 0.7zip with my fave profile is screwed.

What am I using now?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040114 Firebird/0.7+

with a bog standard, shitty as buggery, new testing profile.

So let's get this right. To test a new build safely, one has to:

1. abandon their favourite profile and create a new testing profile
2. play Russian Roulette installing extensions in this testing profile until one eventually breaks the whole installation
3. dig your way out of a heavily corrupted Fb experience back to something functional again

??

Is it any wonder that testing is not everyone's favourite hobby?

The devs must make it easier to test Fb or they should stop expecting mass numbers of people to test it because only the dedicated few can do so.
johnleemk

Post by johnleemk »

No one asked you to test Firebird nightlies. If this was a milestone, your ranting would be justified, but these are nightlies. Something is bound to break.

I suggest you nuke your Firebird folder, and then delete the chrome directory in your profile. Then, reinstall Firebird and your extensions including TBE. Then, modify the appropriate file as Yek suggested.