Official Win32 2004-01-20 branch build

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

harrywaldron wrote:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firebird/nightly/latest-trunk/

Help/About shows 0.8+ as the version, so ZIP builds are finally back ...

It is, or at least should be, rather obvious that that is a trunk build, not a branch one, and there are definite differences between the two. The release version of 0.8 will come from the branch releases (for which there are not, as of yet, any zip builds,) while the trunk builds of 0.8 will eventually become the branch builds that lead to the release of 0.9.
old Harry Waldron

Post by old Harry Waldron »

John - Thanks, I did some reading after I had posted on this and got my act together ... When I posted I was paying more attention to the "Official Win32", as we've had some delay in getting daily ZIP builds and didn't know until later the difference between Trunk and Branch. :)

I'm definitely a "Trunk Man" so I'll try to post in the right sections
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Back to the future, or is it ahead to the past?

Post by joeg »

John Liebson wrote:It is, or at least should be, rather obvious that that is a trunk build, not a branch one, and there are definite differences between the two. The release version of 0.8 will come from the branch releases (for which there are not, as of yet, any zip builds,) while the trunk builds of 0.8 will eventually become the branch builds that lead to the release of 0.9.

I know the difference between the trunk and the branch builds, and I've been using the branch builds with installers quite happily over the last 2 weeks or so.

Just for the heck of it, 10 minutes ago I downloaded and tried the latest trunk build (MozillaFirebird-win32.zip-6855 KB-21.01.04-04:41:00) and was surprised to see the (Logitech) mouse scroll bug is still there: the middle wheel doesn't scroll on tables or on the bookmarks.

What I don't understand, not being a programmer, is how retrogressive bugs occur. I mean, loosely speaking, the branch build is the "near future" and the trunk the "distant future". The scroller is working "now", so why doesn't it work "in the future"?

By the way, I've seen there is a new version of the Logitech mouseware. I tried it, but the universal scroll function worked inconsistently between MS Word and the 20 Jan 04 Firebird branch, so I went back to the previous version of the mouseware. Has anyone tried it with a trunk build?

Joe
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
old momokatte

Re: Back to the future, or is it ahead to the past?

Post by old momokatte »

JoeG wrote:What I don't understand, not being a programmer, is how retrogressive bugs occur. I mean, loosely speaking, the branch build is the "near future" and the trunk the "distant future". The scroller is working "now", so why doesn't it work "in the future"?

When you make aggressive changes to code in an attempt to make it better (for a future release) things usually break. The whole Firebird project is about streamlining and modularizing the Mozilla Suite code, which is why regressions happen all the time.