Unofficial FB0.8 Branch build for OS X

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
MMx2000

Post by MMx2000 »

UPDATE:

I upladed some new versions today (2004-01-23 builds), the ppc variant contains the DOM inspector for testing. Unfortunately, FB has no UI to get to it. You have to start Firebird from the Terminal using the command "<path-to-app>/Mozilla\ Firebird.app/Contents/MacOS/MozillaFirebird -inspector &"

Have fun testing. (Hoping for the final to arrive soon)

Greetings . . . Martin
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?
slvrnblk

MMx Build

Post by slvrnblk »

Thanks so much for your effort. The Mac community always seems to come thru.

My processor is also ppc7450
I am also running 10.3.2
Your mouse has moved. Windows XP must be restarted for the change to take effect. Reboot now?
ankh

Post by ankh »

Running now on my G3/900 mhz upgraded Pismo, 1GB RAM, OSX 10.2.8, just fine!

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040123 Firebird/0.7+ (MMx2000)
ankh

Post by ankh »

Using this one, having some unexpected quits though. G3/900 mhz, OSX 10.2.8:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040123 Firebird/0.7+ (MMx2000)
ankh

Post by ankh »

Is this newer? Sorry, having trouble telling from the file info:

MozillaFirebird-mac-ppc-2004-01-23-0.8.dmg.bz2 24-Jan-2004 11:40
(Not sure if this is newer than what I was using when I posted yesterday, just above).

I went back to the trunk
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040119 Firebird/0.8.0+

and quit having unexpected quits, whether that means anything I don't know.
MMx2000

Post by MMx2000 »

UPDATE:

I posted some fresh builds yesterday and today.
Today's build is optimized for my PB G4 again (now named "ppc7450", because that's what it is) and built with gcc3.3.

For all the people who are having trouble finding out which date the build is from: Don't trust the file date, trust the file name! I use ISO date format in the filename (now also including the hour), just like mozilla.org does, too. e.g. "2004-01-27-11" is from 11h UTC, 27. January 2004. So please don't download twice only because you thought it is newer now. I generate enough traffic already.

btw: here is the URL again.

Greetings . . . Martin
ankh

G3/900 running it now

Post by ankh »

I'm very, very glad you have a friend with a G3! Thank you.

Doing fine tonight with: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040119 Firebird/0.8.0+
MMx2000

Re: G3/900 running it now

Post by MMx2000 »

ankh wrote:Doing fine tonight with: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040119 Firebird/0.8.0+

Well . . . but you're not testing 0.8 builds then. You use a trunk build, 0_8_BRANCH builds identify as "Firebird/0.7+"

If you want to test the 0_8_BRANCH, you have to hope the official "2004-01-16-17-0.8" build works (did not for me) or you have to grab one of mine.

Greetings . . . Martin
twleung

Post by twleung »

This build is very snappy, but Tabbrowser extensions is doing weird stuff on it. After I open a bookmark folder in tabs, I cannot open any other folder in tabs -- instead I get the right number of empty tabs. Is anybody else seeing this or using Tabbrowser extensions?
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

twleung wrote:This build is very snappy, but Tabbrowser extensions is doing weird stuff on it. After I open a bookmark folder in tabs, I cannot open any other folder in tabs -- instead I get the right number of empty tabs. Is anybody else seeing this or using Tabbrowser extensions?

Did you try the Patch for MacOS X from Piro's site after installing TBE? (I haven't upgraded in a couple months, but I'm interested and following these threads for it).
ankh

Post by ankh »

I get an unexpected quit when using either of the two PPC versions on my G3/900 OSX 10.2.8, not every time but fairly often, enough to scare me back to the latest trunk release for now: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040119 Firebird/0.8.0+

Are crash logs of any use or interest, or anything else I can look at that might be helpful? Running all the utilities (Cocktail, Disk Warrior) is my superstitious response to such quits. Kind of like repainting the airplane after every bumpy landing, I suspect.
MMx2000

Post by MMx2000 »

ankh wrote:I get an unexpected quit when using either of the two PPC versions on my G3/900 OSX 10.2.8, not every time but fairly often, enough to scare me back to the latest trunk release for now...

If you want, you can send me the corresponding section of the crash log. I doubt that it is a general problem of Firebird 0.8, more likely an incompatibility issue between your machine and my build.
Or is it reproducable (e.g. always on one specific site)?

Greetings . . . Martin
MMx2000

Post by MMx2000 »

Here we go again:

After there where two checkins in the FB0.8 Branch yesterday, I thought it is time again for a fresh build (although if the checkins don't concern Mac).
I built a "ppc" build this time, including DOM inspector again.

Have fun . . . Martin
ankh

unexpected quits

Post by ankh »

With the version of a few days ago, on the G3/900/10.2.8, the crash was happening intermittently, and only when trying to quit Firebird after closing all tabs/windows -- maybe 1 time in 4 that I closed it. I remember that was a problem with some of the main builds a months ago, for whatever that's worth.

I'll try the new one sometime in the next few days and report back, and email a crash log if it's still happening. Thanks.
twleung

Post by twleung »

thenightfly42 wrote:
twleung wrote:This build is very snappy, but Tabbrowser extensions is doing weird stuff on it. After I open a bookmark folder in tabs, I cannot open any other folder in tabs -- instead I get the right number of empty tabs. Is anybody else seeing this or using Tabbrowser extensions?

Did you try the Patch for MacOS X from Piro's site after installing TBE? (I haven't upgraded in a couple months, but I'm interested and following these threads for it).

Yes I did, and I just installed the very latest TBE to no avail. I cannot open any bookmark folder in tabs. No Response from Piro via e-mail either. Maybe when there's an official FB8 build.