1/21/03 or 1/22/03 Win32 nightly build?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
wirefox

Post by wirefox »

Allenz wrote:
wirefox wrote:I'm sure there will be a win32 nitely shortly, in the meantime I'm using K-Meleon and find it to be a really fast and stable alternative.wirefox

One of the reasons I decided to go with Phoenix instead of K-melon was that the K-melon project seemed to be moving slowly and Phoenix seemed to be more flexible. Have your found K-melon to be as configurable as Phoenix?

Yes I find it very configurable, although the themes aren't as plentiful as Phoenix you can customize the the toolbars with whatever features you like, it's really fast and stable. With a little bit of reading and searching the forums customizing K-Meleon becomes quite easy.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

chocoba65 wrote:The latest Linux build is 01/24, and the latest Windows is still 01/20. Grr, they really don't want us installing XPI's, do they :(

Nah, they just want to help Linux become more popular. ;)

More seriously, about 70% of the Phoenix users are on Windows (according to the poll someone conducted here a while back), so I don't think the Phoenix dev team has any intention of abandoning the Win32 version...
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
shill

Post by shill »

I use both Linux and Windows, sadly enough there are just some programs that aren't coded for Linux and that won't work on WINE. Some that are coded for Linux, like Yahoo Messenger, are so far behind the Windows versions, youc an't even voice chat, or join Yahoo chat rooms.
asa

Post by asa »

CountZero wrote:So... still no nightly for the 23th... and no answer from anyone... Is Win32 platform been abondoned by Phoenix? :D

Yep.

--Asa
ehume

Post by ehume »

alanjstr wrote:
ehume wrote:This has happened before, and for about as long. Something about the Automated Phoenix-builder or something. Ask cdn.

cdn isn't a dev. He just runs themes.mozdev and is a smart guy.
And he's the one who told me what was up last time this happened. And told me that it would get fixed. And to be patient. And so i was, and it did, and the Px Win32 builds started appearing again. Somebody just got a round tuit.
djst

Post by djst »

asa wrote:
CountZero wrote:So... still no nightly for the 23th... and no answer from anyone... Is Win32 platform been abondoned by Phoenix? :D

Yep.

--Asa

That's why you went for Red Hat 8.0, right? ;)
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

djst wrote:
asa wrote:

Yep.

--Asa

Was it Asa or was it you who went for RH 8? Or both? ;)
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

chocoba65 wrote:I use both Linux and Windows, sadly enough there are just some programs that aren't coded for Linux and that won't work on WINE. Some that are coded for Linux, like Yahoo Messenger, are so far behind the Windows versions, youc an't even voice chat, or join Yahoo chat rooms.

I've tried to run some simple Win utilities that I find useful on Linux using Wine. A couple worked, most others didn't. I don't even run Wine anymore now. Just have to wait for some sensible people to write apps for Linux, or write them yourself. :)
djst

Post by djst »

daihard wrote:
djst wrote:
asa wrote:

Yep.

--Asa

Was it Asa or was it you who went for RH 8? Or both? ;)

Both, although I haven't really made any definite switch yet. I probably never will since I still make software using VB6.

But I'm trying to learn things and I'm currently monitoring the linux.redhat newsgroup. Right now I have one big problem that stops me from using Linux: my internet connection is about 1/10th the speed as in Windows. Something wrong with the drivers maybe? :(
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

djst wrote:But I'm trying to learn things and I'm currently monitoring the linux.redhat newsgroup. Right now I have one big problem that stops me from using Linux: my internet connection is about 1/10th the speed as in Windows. Something wrong with the drivers maybe? :(

You may occassionally see 'daihard' in linux.redhat as I post there from time to time. ;) Another good one is alt.linux.redhat.

Do you have RH 8 and Windows on the same machine? If so, it may be an issue with the NIC driver from Linux. Have you looked at the card manufacturer's Web site for an updated Linux driver?
djst

Post by djst »

daihard wrote:
djst wrote:But I'm trying to learn things and I'm currently monitoring the linux.redhat newsgroup. Right now I have one big problem that stops me from using Linux: my internet connection is about 1/10th the speed as in Windows. Something wrong with the drivers maybe? :(

You may occassionally see 'daihard' in linux.redhat as I post there from time to time. ;) Another good one is alt.linux.redhat.

Do you have RH 8 and Windows on the same machine? If so, it may be an issue with the NIC driver from Linux. Have you looked at the card manufacturer's Web site for an updated Linux driver?

Yes, I have Windows Me/2000/XP and Red Hat on the same machine. Why would that matter?

No, I haven't looked for a linux driver. It's a "noname" adapter, don't know the vendor. It turns up as "Realtek RTL8029(AS)-based Ethernet Adapter (Generic)" in Windows XP.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

djst wrote:
daihard wrote:Do you have RH 8 and Windows on the same machine? If so, it may be an issue with the NIC driver from Linux. Have you looked at the card manufacturer's Web site for an updated Linux driver?

Yes, I have Windows Me/2000/XP and Red Hat on the same machine. Why would that matter?

No, it should not matter. I asked because I wanted to make sure you were experiencing the problem with the same network card. If you had two different machines for Windows and Linux respectively, then it'd be harder to pinpoint the cause of the problem.
djst

Post by djst »

daihard wrote:
djst wrote:
daihard wrote:Do you have RH 8 and Windows on the same machine? If so, it may be an issue with the NIC driver from Linux. Have you looked at the card manufacturer's Web site for an updated Linux driver?

No, it should not matter. I asked because I wanted to make sure you were experiencing the problem with the same network card. If you had two different machines for Windows and Linux respectively, then it'd be harder to pinpoint the cause of the problem.

Ah. Well, if I'm downloading a file from mozilla.org under WinXP, i get around 40kb/sec, but in Red Hat, I get <1kb/sec! That's the magnitude of the problem. Other than that, most things work fine under Red Hat.