aebrahim: W32 2004-01-31 optimised for P3/P4/AthlonXP

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Just installed this build and themes that I was using for my previous build (2004-01-06, optimized by you for Athlon XP) are missing the bookmarks folder arrows. Only the default theme shows them correctly...

<b>Edit:</b> Changed signature. Updated this post with relevant info.
ghola

Post by ghola »

aebrahim wrote:I've not used -O2 because it can cause crashes, and causes at least one JPEG rendering problem that others are seeing.

I think this p4 jpeg problem should really be investigated further. It *may* be the exposure of the longtime image rendering bug that used to be too obscure to trace, in which case we would finally have a test situation to investigate. If we keep working around it (which of course makes good sense for operational builds) we may never be able to solve it.

The question of course is *how* to investigate the problem, and who is able and willing to do it?
pyu

Post by pyu »

Zeron wrote:Just installed this build and themes that I was using for my previous build (2004-01-06, optimized by you for Athlon XP) are missing the bookmarks folder arrows. Only the default theme shows them correctly...

Actually, the arrows have been missing in the previous builds - guess they brought them back now...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050908 Firefox/1.4 (Firefox Beta 1)
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Pyu: But they're still missing when you change to a non-default theme. Why is that?
Kasteo

Post by Kasteo »

I think it's a theme that might need to update. My Noia 2.0 theme still have bookmarks folder arrow with this lastest build.
Noia 2.0 theme for Firefox & Thunderbird
- Compaq Presario 2190US, 2.4GHz, 1024MB DDR RAM, 40GB 5400rpm HDD.
- Windows Server 2003 Enterprise, Gecko/20040925 Firefox/0.10 (MOOX M3)
Ewokuk

Post by Ewokuk »

isnt it a bit odd that everyones been using 02 all this time and nothing like this has come up before?
j-gray

Post by j-gray »

Zeron wrote:Just installed this build and themes that I was using for my previous build (2004-01-06, optimized by you for Athlon XP) are missing the bookmarks folder arrows. Only the default theme shows them correctly...

Odd... Using same build and default theme, I have the bookmark arrows on the primary bookmark dropdown, however, they are missing from bookmark subfolders. (the ones long enough to require them, that is.).
aebrahim

Post by aebrahim »

Ewokuk wrote:isnt it a bit odd that everyones been using 02 all this time and nothing like this has come up before?

Actually, yeah, I'm surprised that no one has noticed it. It's not a new bug either, JPEG rendering has been in a semi-broken state on -O2 builds for a long time now. I just figured that I'd try -O2 and see if it worked for people, but as expected, there are problems with JPEG rendering in the build. But hey, at least its not as bad as in VC6, where the browser is totally unusable when compiled with -O2.

Also, it's "-O2" with the letter O, not number 0. That's not just for Ewokuk, but a lot of other people too. Just wanted to clarify that.
sfty

Post by sfty »

runs very nice!
i like todays builds more than yesterdays O2 optimised..
avbohemen

Post by avbohemen »

aebrahim: Any chance of seeing a build without SSE architecture optimization? It would be very nice to run Firebird on my Athlon 1400 (non-XP version)... now I'm stuck with my (much older) PIII-700 when it comes to running your builds.
aebrahim

Post by aebrahim »

avbohemen wrote:aebrahim: Any chance of seeing a build without SSE architecture optimization? It would be very nice to run Firebird on my Athlon 1400 (non-XP version)... now I'm stuck with my (much older) PIII-700 when it comes to running your builds.

Maybe next time, I need to clear up some more space on my hard disk before I can make so many builds at the same time.
trooper21

Post by trooper21 »

encountered a bsod on winxp, using the SSE2 build. was surfing half way and it suddenly happened.
aebrahim

Post by aebrahim »

trooper21 wrote:encountered a bsod on winxp, using the SSE2 build. was surfing half way and it suddenly happened.

Did you happen to make a note of the error on the BSOD screen? Without this error message, we have no idea if this was actually caused by Firebird, or some other problem.
storm119

Post by storm119 »

About the -O2 broken image, I think it is not a big deal! and its not too often!.Like www.cnn.com thingy its only happen when you run FB from `start' but if you type from URL in FB there is no broken image! at all.:)

And compare to Mr.Aeb -O1-Oi vs -O2-G7 i found -O2 much,much faster (start-up / page rendering) than the O1-Oi,no crash its run SUPERB!!!.

So the question now should we stop compiled using code -O2 or we keep testing (new build) ? until we found the solution which i believe someone,oneday will find the right combination betwen -O2 code.

Me...vote for -O2...:)
aebrahim

Post by aebrahim »

storm119,

As I said before, I'm not going to make builds that I know have bugs in them that could be avoided by using less agressive optimisations. Like I said before, my primary goal is for usability, and speed is secondary. Personally I find it very annoying when JPEGs break on initial pageload, because my homepage is set to a site on which it breaks everytime I start the browser if I'm using an -O2 build.

Regarding optimised builds, as you know, I'm not going to be making them everyday. I'll probably only make optimised builds when something significant is checked in that would cause the user experience to change.