icons in quicksearch bar overlapping

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
krashtd

icons in quicksearch bar overlapping

Post by krashtd »

I recently downloaded and installed some of the recent optimized builds on 2 computers, both with P3 processors (stipe's 1-31 G7 SSE and aebrahim's 1-31 G6 SSE on my home computer with 1.3 GHz Celeron, and aebrahim's 1-28 G6 SSE on work computer with 933 MHz P3) and have had a few problems with the quicksearch bar.

Namely, the icon for 'Find/Search in this Page' and the Google icon are both visible at the same time on startup, with the magnifying glass icon for 'Find in Page' overlapping/being on top of the Google icon. Icons for other search engines suffer the same fate as the Google one, being partially obscured. This does not change no matter how many times I restart the browser or computer, and I haven't found anything about anyone else suffering the same problem. And yes, I DID search the forums. ](*,)

In an additional note, I originally downloaded stipe's 1-31 G7 SSE optimized build for my home computer because I forgot that the G7 referred to 'generation 7' processors such as Pentium 4 and Athlon. Needless to say, my system wasn't happy with it and I had many problems in addition to the quicksearch problem, namely that the browser would crash when i went to the first site after startup, and in some instances it would happen after visiting other pages within a site after startup. Example: visiting Ebay immediately after startup would crash it, cold, hard, and fast, every time. However, going to Mozillazine (heh...there's irony for ya) to the main page or the forums, everything would be fine until I opened a link to a post within the forums. This would happen regardless of number of open tabs, regardless of clean profile, regardless of extensions or themes installed. Plain and simple, there's a reason it's a G7 build and not a G6. #-o So, for anyone else having similar troubles, make certain you have the correct build for your processor.

Aside from the quicksearch problem and some struggles with profiles, aebrahim's 1-31 G6 SSE build is working great on my computer at home, and the 1-28 G6 SSE build is running strong at work. Can't wait for .8 optimized :D
Killed who?
mintshows

Post by mintshows »

Are you using any themes?? If so, I guarantee you the overlapping icons problem is w/ the theme. Try using the Default firebird theme and see if that helps. All themes built before a certain date..have major compatability issues w/ newer firebird builds. Try removing the theme, and downloading either an updated version, or a different one.
sensemann

Post by sensemann »

had this problem a while back when using an older profile. wfm now with the latest firebird and new profile.
: sensemann.com :
.:: Extensions :.
.:: Themes :.
krashtd

icon overlap

Post by krashtd »

had this problem from the get-go, before installing any themes (only one i use is Px-Classic...wish it was default still!), before any extensions or anything. as soon as i installed Firebird, and as soon as i started it, with default theme, the icons overlapped.

and, as stated previously, even using a clean, fresh, brand-spankin'-new profile didn't change anything.
Killed who?
krashtd

problem solved

Post by krashtd »

well, due to the fact that i'm generally uncapable of waiting for someone else to solve my problems and for some unexplainable reason feel the need to figure out precisely how everything works (this would explain the heaps and heaps of dismantled, not broken - DISMANTLED, toys of various types that were all i had to show for my childhood... :wink: )...i dismantled the classic.jar theme file that is the default theme for Firebird, and made some modifications and comparisons to it and the other theme that is MY default, Px-Classic, and found that Px-Classic omits a few lines from the 'browser.css' file in the 'browser' folder that controls the display of the browser window icons. apparently someone trimmed too much in previous versions of the theme and for whatever reason, Firebird was forgiving enough not to hiccup when it ran into these omissions. now, however, it stops hard.

the way i solved this was by doing what you suggested, and something i had already tried, which was delete my profile. only problem was, just deleting the actual folder wasn't sufficient enough. in Profile Manager i had to tell it to delete it there ALSO, and it finally gave me a clean profile. then i just moved everything over from my old profile, and it was good to go. no icon overlap. then i tested the Px-Classic theme to see if this was the culprit, and it was. so I investigated the workings of the theme files and the browser display, and conclude that it was not a problem with my profile, not a problem with the theme, but, in fact, a problem with both of them.

so my thanks goes to both of you for your suggestions, even though i would have tried it on my own anyway. you just thought of it first. :D
Killed who?