xpcc187a.dll what is this?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
bcool

xpcc187a.dll what is this?

Post by bcool »

Does anyone know if xpcc187a.dll has anything to do with Mozilla or MozillaFirebird builds?
It is a strange file that just recently appeared in \Windows\System32 on WINXP SP1.

By the way, the file itself has attributes hsa, hidden, system, archive.

----
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040204 Firebird/0.8.0+ (stipe)
Never let them see you sweat
j-gray

Post by j-gray »

Hmmm.... I'm running WinXP Pro w/SP1 plus all current patches. I don't find the file in the System32 directory or anywhere else on my system. If you check under the Version tab in Properties does it give any useful info?
shill

Post by shill »

I would do a full scan with Spybot-S&D.
::my browser info:: | ::my PC info:: | ::my contact info::
PGP fingerprint: E09B 1202 F70E E53E 29BC 5F64 D6D5 9E19 EF92 EA51
old momokatte

Post by old momokatte »

I couldn't find any matches for xpcc187a.dll on Google or anywhere else, which is unusual for a DLL file. It could be something new and unidentified (spyware, worm, etc.).
bcool

Post by bcool »

Thanks folks. It hasn't been on my system for very long - at the very most - since February 2, 2004.

I take a fingerprint of my hard drive and monitor all changes to files. That's how I caught this one. But the only thing I could get from it in a hex viewer that made any sense to me was a file name entry:EVALCHECK.DLL.
Of course the WINXP registry is silent on both Xpcc187a.dll or evalcheck.dll.
For now, I have the mysterious file isolated and secured. I asked here because I saw "XPCC" in the filename and for some reason this reminded me of some of the entries in xpti.dat and xpconnect.xpt - part of MozillaFirebird.

FYI: Spybot, HijackThis, Regedit, Norton AV 2003, TDS-3 Trojan Defense - all silent on this!!

Thanks for your help. It was a shot in the dark... :(
Never let them see you sweat