shill

Post by shill »

Hooded One wrote:OMG GAK LOOK HTE END OF TEH WUROLD

LOLLERSKATES!!!!!111
::my browser info:: | ::my PC info:: | ::my contact info::
PGP fingerprint: E09B 1202 F70E E53E 29BC 5F64 D6D5 9E19 EF92 EA51
flexy123

Post by flexy123 »

chob wrote:firefucks, firecocks, how many other silly playsonwords can be made.

we now should really debate that *in depth* - its certainly very relevant ! :)
Bh420

Post by Bh420 »

the new name sucks period
shill

Post by shill »

Bh420 wrote:the new name sucks period

I think you meant to say... "the new name rocks period"...
::my browser info:: | ::my PC info:: | ::my contact info::
PGP fingerprint: E09B 1202 F70E E53E 29BC 5F64 D6D5 9E19 EF92 EA51
MistFox

Post by MistFox »

whatever the name is....as long as Fire[insert name of animals here] is better than IE.....

who cares?
Thy Fox will look from thy shadows,Thou Shall Feel thy cunning will.
I use nightlies Trunk Builds, I will ask Trunk Question and post Trunk Bugs ONLY. Please do not tell me "Using Branch build here,everything works fine.".DUH.
Bh420

Post by Bh420 »

chocoba65 wrote:
Bh420 wrote:the new name sucks period

I think you meant to say... "the new name rocks period"...

UMM no I got it right the first time
darthmdh

Post by darthmdh »

Remember folks,

It's spelt "F-I-R-E-F-O-X" but its pronounced "Mozilla"

Congratulations and thankyou to Ben and others for the fantastic browser.
STONE POWER D

Post by STONE POWER D »

To all of you who don't like the name, you fail to recognize it refer's to my new avatar the russian -MIG 31 FIREFOX.The firefox is so fast that after going for a quick blat, you feel like you've been shagged by a grizzly bear and left dazed and confused
WinXP PRO SP1 AthlonXP 2000+ 256DDR
ehume

Post by ehume »

OK, perhaps we should call it Broccoli . . .

Perhaps Clusterfox (after a US Mil slang term, "clusterf....d")

But I did like the Flying Fox one. In the US they call them ziplines. You grab this thing that rolls on a steel line. You can fly a hundred feet or more. Great fun!
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
spankee

Post by spankee »

What is with this new icon im not seeing any flames.....or a fox for that matter. It scales like crap.
bcool

Post by bcool »

mozBirdLuva wrote:
bcool wrote:
Lohvarn wrote:Heh all those that *really* invested their time and efforts did get a say. I wonder who you're thinking of.

yea,mozBirdLuva, what the heck have you been doing since 06 Aug 2003? Because you know only those that "really" invested their time and efforts did get a say.

For the record I've not written a single line of code but have converted all my Web design co-workers and am evangelising at the ISP I worl for.

I've also installed and tested several (sigh) builds to date.

Regardless, since when was the Fire* people that mattered limited to those who are paid to write it and have the most direct involvement? Last time I checked I thought this was a 'community' project?

I hope you know that my remark was made tongue in cheek and intended to evoke further comment. I was not disappointed. I believe folks like yourself are a member of the "really"-invested-their-time-and-efforts group. That really was my subtle point.
Thanks for your insightful perspective. :)
Never let them see you sweat
mtigas

Post by mtigas »

LOL@chocoba: LOLLERSKATES!

-----

So yes. I wasn't happy yesterday reading up about the name change at all. But I'm not pissed at Mozilla--nay, they're simply non-profit and can't freaking afford to buy out the rights to the name like other companies can. I'm pissed at fat corporate America, heh, and American society--though that's a totally other rant.

But I'm even less happy with people who can't deal with it. You know, it's just a browser. Browse.

Perhaps I'm just easily swayed. After a day of discussing this with friends, the name seems to roll off my tongue and sounds pretty nice to me now. Firefox. Still sounds quick. Still sounds powerful.

I don't care if it's called Barney's Magic Browser, if it's as nimble and quick as... whatever you want to call it is. It's the same [mozilla/browser] that's been in the trunk since 2002--Phoenix, Firebird, Firefox... It's the same thing. And I still love it.

People, non-profit big open-source organization in a capitalist society... Doesn't cut it very easily. You can't just buy the rights like most would. You want open-source? Then fight for it.

Linux vs. SCO. Linux vs. Microsoft. I don't think Linux would stand a chance unless it had such a large (and active) fanbase. (Then again, Linux has money involved with distributor companies, which isn't an option Mozilla has.)

Mozilla vs. Microsoft. Mozilla vs. Firebird (Database).

You can't please everyone. The situation, in my own summary: It was either a name change, or some very angry corporate-backed database guys. Name change = some unhappy users. No name change = unhappy third-party; fork up the money, which you don't have.

I think what they did was fine.
moole

Post by moole »

You do not understand me.

I also think that the name change is a little thing.

But to have an open source browser that doesn't allow its artwork to be used by unofficial builders...
I think it is very stupid.

There was a good suggestion, put a "mozilla official build" in the about box and people will know that they are using the official build.
voltron

Post by voltron »

The browser has not changed. The name is the only difference. For all of you that use Phoenix and previously Firebird as to sound cool to your friends; it might be a good time to go back to IE or Opera. It's a name. Get over it, some of you sound like you're losing sleep over this. I'd love to keep this argument going on because all the long-winded posts about name branding and good names vs bad names have been giving many of us a good laugh now and then.

And to continue the fire, I'll add some more fuel to the debate: Firefox loads faster since it's one less letter in memory to display on the titlebar.
GnuBeest

Post by GnuBeest »

MadmanNova wrote:You can't please everyone. The situation, in my own summary: It was either a name change, or some very angry corporate-backed database guys. Name change = some unhappy users. No name change = unhappy third-party; fork up the money, which you don't have.

Not to hijack the thread, but this has nothing to do with "corporate backing". Firebird (the relational database) has been around much longer than Firebird (the web browser), and while many people wouldn't see the name competition between unrelated product genres, I guarantee it would be bound to cause some confusion in many IT circles. If Borland had decided to pursue legal action, that's their right.

Even after all the "warring" between parties, the Firebird folks have been kosher enough to plop the name change and new release (with a big Firefox icon) on their front page. Hey, free publicity.

And while you were mentioning Linux in your corporate rant, you failed to mention the fact that Linux would be nowhere near where it is today had it not been for large corporations pouring money and code into Linux development. Corporations have been a boon to open-source development -- they put food on the tables of the programmers and engineers who contribute.

I'll get used to the name change. I don't care much for the name, but it'll grow on me, and the icon is just too damned cute.