Question about installing the nightly builds

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

JPS wrote:FWIW: profile folder problem still persists in the 01.29.03 build for Windows

Has a bug report been turned in? If not, chances are dim it's going to be even looked at, let alone fixed.
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
WildCelt

Post by WildCelt »

I have been using 0.5 for a while now and want to venture into nightly builds as well, but am concerned about the same issues as the original poster. So, let me see if I am following this correctly: whenever I reinstall I have to redownload all themes and, extensions, set up image and ad blocking, as well as other customizations all over again, as if from scratch? I am still on (ugh) dialup at home and hate having to redownload themes and extensions over and over. Is this something that will be remedied in the future?

Thanks!
RAF

Post by RAF »

I don't know if it will be 'remedied' because extensions are extensions so they won'y be build into Phoenix. Phoenix also ships with one theme (Qute) and will continue to do so, as far as I know.

You can backup your bookmarks.html file and re-use it with a nightly.
You can also download the .jar files of a theme and the .xpi files of an extension and keep a copy on your hard disk or where-ever. Through the Help page in my sig you can then install a theme that is kept on your own harddisk. You would only need to download newer versions that way (if you want to).

You can do a lot of customisation with userChrome.css and user.js. These files can be kept separately and copied into the appropriate folders after installing a nightly.

Click the lower link in my sig for help on how to do this.

The above reduces customisation time a lot.

RAF
WildCelt

Post by WildCelt »

Thanks, RAF for the reply.

I guess the "remedy" for which I seek is the ability to install a new version over top an old version without screwing everything up. I figured out how to export my bookmarks, and don't think its a big deal to copy the three user files either, but it would be nice (especially if there are ideas for the general public to use Px) if this was done automatically, or at least not being affected by another install.

Also, I did not find how to install a theme/extension that has been downloaded on your site. That would be really good info to have! Thanks again for the info.
RAF

Post by RAF »

Go here:

http://texturizer.net/phoenix/themes.html

Between all the preview pictures is a section that lets you install themes. There is an option for Local Files, with a Browse and Install button. If you have a theme_name.jar file on your hd you browse to that file and click install. It should work.

PS: all the credit for the site should go to David Tenser, I just translated the Dutch part.

Edit:typo
WildCelt

Post by WildCelt »

Wow, I never realized that was on that page! Thanks!!
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

WildCelt wrote:Wow, I never realized that was on that page! Thanks!!

Also, the release version of Phoenix will have a nice installer that will allow you to overwrite the existing installation and inherit your existing settings. At least that's my understanding about the Windows version.
WildCelt

Post by WildCelt »

Well, that is all I could ask for! Thanks for the info.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

WildCelt wrote:Well, that is all I could ask for! Thanks for the info.

Your welcome. Hope everything worked out for you.
djnr

Post by djnr »

I almost never wipe out my profile when installing a new version, just the prhoenix program folder, and the vast majority of my settings stay the same. I think I just have to put the default icon back in.

Save yourself some trouble, try a new build without removing your profile, if it works without a problem, which it (almost) always does for me, great!
WildCelt

Post by WildCelt »

Thanks for the suggestion. I did keep my profile when I updated, and it seemed to go pretty well. The only thing I had to reinstall were the extensions.
WildCelt

Post by WildCelt »

Woo hoo! With my fifth post I went from "Mozilla Newbie" to "Mozilla Fan." I guess it's too late to turn back now! :)
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

WildCelt wrote:Woo hoo! With my fifth post I went from "Mozilla Newbie" to "Mozilla Fan." I guess it's too late to turn back now! :)

Pretty soon, you will be posting only to see when you get a new title, and what it will be. ;)
WildCelt

Post by WildCelt »

RAF wrote:Go here:

http://texturizer.net/phoenix/themes.html

Between all the preview pictures is a section that lets you install themes. There is an option for Local Files, with a Browse and Install button. If you have a theme_name.jar file on your hd you browse to that file and click install. It should work.

Is there a similar place that will allow one to install downloaded extensions as well? If not, how does one intall extensions that have been previously downloaded?
RAF

Post by RAF »

if it is an .xpi file you can use file - > open
or drag it into the phoenix main browser window.