Gran Paradiso Alpha 3

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

RyanVM wrote:Well, it defaults to pulling the file from the dllcache directory first. I only asks for the CD if that fails.
But it would be 1000 times more useful if it told you what file it thought needed replacing so that if you don't have the CD, you have a prayer of fixing it.
Old R.Marotta

Post by Old R.Marotta »

I still have problems with cut and paste, it's still a game of getting it to work properly, actually a problem since the last few alpha's.....
Anyone else have strange cut and paste problems?
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

R.Marotta wrote:I still have problems with cut and paste, it's still a game of getting it to work properly, actually a problem since the last few alpha's.....
Anyone else have strange cut and paste problems?

if you use IE TAB extension, try to use latest dev. version.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=505032
Old R.Marotta

Post by Old R.Marotta »

Sorry, I don't use IE TAB Extension. This cut and paste problem is strictly a problem with Gran Paradiso as it happened on all previous releases of it as well.
I don't know why the devs overlooked this problem, but it's still there. At least in the Mac release it is...

;; Ray
-fullmetaljacket-

Post by -fullmetaljacket- »

R.Marotta wrote:Sorry, I don't use IE TAB Extension. This cut and paste problem is strictly a problem with Gran Paradiso as it happened on all previous releases of it as well.
I don't know why the devs overlooked this problem, but it's still there. At least in the Mac release it is...

;; Ray

did you tried gran paradiso 3?
michal017

Post by michal017 »

Hi guys,
does anyone see delays when browsing?
Example: loading a page, then trying to scroll down but there's a lag between clicking on the scrollbar and actual scrolling.. Or hovering over a link (just regular [a href], no javascript), then there's lag a few seconds until the cursor changes the style..
Or typing this text - ther's lag each 10 or 20 characters during which FF uses 100% CPU for 1-2 seconds..
I'm using Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9a4pre) Gecko/20070326 Minefield/3.0a4pre which is installed automatically by an upgrade (i.e. no clean profile)
m.
ogirtd

Post by ogirtd »

michal017 wrote:Hi guys,
does anyone see delays when browsing?
Example: loading a page, then trying to scroll down but there's a lag between clicking on the scrollbar and actual scrolling.. Or hovering over a link (just regular [a href], no javascript), then there's lag a few seconds until the cursor changes the style..
Or typing this text - ther's lag each 10 or 20 characters during which FF uses 100% CPU for 1-2 seconds..
I'm using Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9a4pre) Gecko/20070326 Minefield/3.0a4pre which is installed automatically by an upgrade (i.e. no clean profile)
m.
Yes, I have this too, but not always.
Reviving abandoned Firefox & Thunderbird themes since 2006.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Could the lag be related to the size of places.sqlite?
I notice that that file keeps growing in size and keeps the same size if you clear the history.
michal017

Post by michal017 »

dickvl wrote:Could the lag be related to the size of places.sqlite?
I notice that that file keeps growing in size and keeps the same size if you clear the history.

I don't know, mine is 1858560 B now.
Is that too much?
Bushwack

Post by Bushwack »

I think the slowdowns are caused by the cycle collector. Watching top I'm seeing a memory usage drop fairly consistently after freeze ups (at least after the longer freezes).

I assume the plan is to eliminate the memory leaks the cycle collector is dealing with and further optimise the cycle collector code itself, so in future releases no freezes will be noticed.
RyanVM

Post by RyanVM »

The pauses and slowdowns are caused by the Cycle Collector and the devs are well aware of them.
michal017

Post by michal017 »

Thanks for the explanation.. yes I see the memory usage drops down after the freezeup..
argyle

Installation

Post by argyle »

Any way to install this build and still keep my stable FF installation working? I'd like to test out some of the new JavaScript features, but I'd also like to continue using my current FF config.
michal017

Post by michal017 »

You can install it into a separate directory but you can't use it at the same time..
At least that's my experience on GNU/Linux.
ogirtd

Post by ogirtd »

I'm on WinXP and I'm using both trunk versions and stable 2.0.0.2, both at the same time.
I installed trunk into a separate directory, then I made a new profile for trunk, so each browser uses a different profile.
Simple, and working without any problems :)
Reviving abandoned Firefox & Thunderbird themes since 2006.