Phoenix won't start with XFT

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
elFarto

Phoenix won't start with XFT

Post by elFarto »

Hey all

I've been using the phoenix build script posted here a while ago, and its great. ive recently got XFT working, but when i compile phoenix with it, the compile goes fine (after i fixed the issue of the incorrect xft.h file), but when ever i try to start phoenix, it just dumps me back to the command line, with no phoenix, nothing. Its not segfaulting or anything...any ideas anyone???

Edit: if i compile the same source without --enable-xft, it works fine.

Edit 2: moved to Build forum

Regards
Stephen
crippled-bird

Just a shot in the dark

Post by crippled-bird »

Did you install fontconfig and Xft from a distribution package or did you compile it yourself? If the latter, I had a similar problem with libXft. There was a conflict between the original Xft1 and the new Xft2 as both tended to call themselves just plain Xft.

To fix it I had to make sure that all the libXft links in /usr/X11R6/lib/ ultimately pointed to libXft.so.2.0, which I had at /usr/local/lib/libXft.so.2.0.

For example:

ln -s /usr/local/lib/libXft.so.2.0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so

Every once in a while the system would regenerate the links so I also had to move libXft.so.1.1 to a hidden place. When I switched to the Debianized versions of fontconfig and Xft, they moved libXft.so.1.1 to libXft1.so.1.1 which is, I guess a more organized of handling the conflict.
elFarto

Post by elFarto »

I linked /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so to /usr/lib/libXft.so.2.0 but to no avail...it seems to be exiting with code 11....which is a segfault afaik....*sigh*

How do i compile phoenix with the debug stuff in it, is it just --enable-debug

Stephen
elFarto

Post by elFarto »

Well, i found the problem, i didn't have a correct /etc/X11/XftConfig file. the dir "..." line only had one folder. after copying the font line from my /etc/X11/fs/config and running fc-cache everything looks lovely.

Stephen