Nightly Troubleshooting Information

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Ken Saunders

Re: Nightly Troubleshooting Information

Post by Ken Saunders »

I opened omni.ja (22.0a1) from two different sources that I have and there isn't a browser directory. What am I missing? I have add-ons that need to be updated for the new downloads button, behavior, etc.

Also, what's the difference between
nightly/latest-trunk and nightly/latest-mozilla-central?

I looked over viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2446211 and read the following, but it still isn't really clear to me.

- Mozilla Inbound is a buffer for Mozilla Central. Mozilla Central is also called "Trunk" and is where all the latest Gecko production code goes to live. Builds produced from Mozilla Central is branded "Nightly".
johnlgalt

Post by johnlgalt »

If you actually follow the link from nightly/latest-trunk you'll see that it actually redirects to nightly/latest-mozilla-central.

IOW, Mozcentral *is* the new trunk.
juanelo11

Post by juanelo11 »

Hi,
I'm using Nightly v24.0a1 (2013-06-22) and I'm not able to open it using the Modern UI version.
I already set Nightly as the default browser to open the protocol HTTP. I've tried through different ways like clicking the "Make Nightly my default browser" and then clicking OK.
I've tried opening Control Panel then Set my default programs, then selected Nigthly and clicked to set everything as default and still doesn't work.

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.
Ken Saunders

Post by Ken Saunders »

What do you mean by "Modern UI version"?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

juanelo11 wrote:I'm using Nightly v24.0a1 (2013-06-22) and I'm not able to open it using the Modern UI version. I already set Nightly as the default browser to open the protocol HTTP. I've tried through different ways like clicking the "Make Nightly my default browser" and then clicking OK. I've tried opening Control Panel then Set my default programs, then selected Nigthly and clicked to set everything as default and still doesn't work. Anything else I'm missing?

I have found that it was not working for me when I had a screen with a resolution less than 1366 (whatever the low end is that was recommended by MS for a better Win8 experience). What is your screen resolution?

Please use this thread for further support: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2304983

Ken Saunders wrote:What do you mean by "Modern UI version"?

In Win8, you have have a desktop and a Metro/Modern UI version. The Modern UI version is always full screen and follows certain design principles to provide for a more slimmed down UI.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
juanelo11

Post by juanelo11 »

Thanks! Apparently the screen resolution was the issue. Thanks man.
kawa1111

Post by kawa1111 »

For me the screen resolulition was the issue too, I am happy :) Thx!
Crash&Burn

Post by Crash&Burn »

Not sure if this is the right place (?)

Had to revert from the latest Nightly that was released today (Sep.17) to:
firefox-35.0a1.en-US.win64-x86_64.zip 15-Sep-2014 11:11 49M

* Session Manager icons disappeared from the address-bar, and would no longer function. Tab Mix Plus' session manager tried to take over but it couldn't read SM's files it seems, as sessions were listed as empty.

* Tabs wouldn't seem to load (at all/sporadically).
* Tree Style Tab broke completely. Changing settings for position Top/Bottom/Left/Right, would do nothing.
* User Styles worked sporadically - would colour backgrounds of tabs, but not the text - so could not see tab titles (black on black).
There were probably more issues, but those were the things that jumped out immediately.
* Opening Addon's from the MainMenu-Icon wouldn't show the Addon's page, it was blank. Though switching tabs and switching windows sometimes got it to display.

(Posted from IE - don't shoot me :: while FF installed, launched, and loaded tabs).

Back on 15th September's release; Everything appears "normal" -- for nightly that is ;)
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

TheVisitor wrote:
TheVisitor wrote:Looks like another respin has been started will be cset: https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/d2c01d77b9d0

Re-Spin is out, cset as noted above.

There was a respin of the 32 bit nightly update that backed out every change set of the broken update... Maybe the win64-x86 builds were not redone and remain broken. The fun of living on the Bleeding Edge and testing... Did you check the repository?
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

JayhawksRock wrote:
TheVisitor wrote:
TheVisitor wrote:Looks like another respin has been started will be cset: https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/d2c01d77b9d0

Re-Spin is out, cset as noted above.

There was a respin of the 32 bit nightly update that backed out every change set of the broken update... Maybe the win64-x86 builds were not redone and remain broken. The fun of living on the Bleeding Edge and testing... Did you check the repository?

Looking here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... a-central/ I see builds for x64bit
whether they work ? who knows... I don't even mess with unsupported stuff at this point, hard enough to keep with all the 32 bit releases, and test Nightly / hourly builds.
Crash&Burn

Post by Crash&Burn »

x64's been working way better for me than the 32bit Nightly. Course that's with a load of tabs. x86 Nightly would become unresponsive and dog slow after exceeding 2.4 - 2.6 GB of ram.
wm4

Post by wm4 »

Is there any bugs saying that Hola (hola.org) doesn't work with Nightly?
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

wm4 wrote:Is there any bugs saying that Hola (hola.org) doesn't work with Nightly?

I can access hola.org with no problem.. What do you mean "doesn't work"
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
wm4

Post by wm4 »

Oh. The Hola plugin available from the said web site allows unblocking of region-locked
websites through some sort of VPN proxies. The plugin works with the release,
but not with the Nightly.

Here's a way to test if that works or not:
https://hola.org/faq#ts_vpn_troubleshoot
Test your Hola VPN by going to http://www.ip2nation.com. It should show you
the country which you are from. Now click the Hola icon and change to a different
country. The ip2nation.com page will refresh, and you should show you that
your country is now that country you chose. If it does not, continue with the steps
below, and let us know in your problem report to Hola (help@hola.org)

In Nightly, the country didn't change in ip2nation.com.
Sabardeyn

Post by Sabardeyn »

I would like to suggest prefixing new topics with Build info to prevent confusion. With the recent addition of more lively discussions on the various Channels and Versions, it is getting confusing on what is being discussed and which subjects pertain to which Channel/Build.

While some of the more active members will remember to prefix topics (if implemented), most likely this would be a Moderator addition. Don't mean to add work for the Mods, just a realist and know you cannot expect users to consistently include this info.

Possibilities that I'm aware of are : [Aurora (Pre Dev)|Aurora (Dev Ed)|Beta|Nightly]

Just a thought.
Sabardeyn
Online infrequently, responses made accordingly.