2 versions of Ph - possible?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
pviton

2 versions of Ph - possible?

Post by pviton »

Is it possible to have 2 versions of phoenix available on the same Windows system ? I know you can *install* phoenix to two different folders, but what about the profile? It seems to be created in a default location.
djst

Re: 2 versions of Ph - possible?

Post by djst »

pviton wrote:Is it possible to have 2 versions of phoenix available on the same Windows system ? I know you can *install* phoenix to two different folders, but what about the profile? It seems to be created in a default location.

You can have as many profiles as you want. Just start Phoenix.exe with the -profilemanager switch.

So, the answer is yes. You can have as many different versions of Phoenix as you want, but I wouldn't recommend sharing profiles. However, you could probably share the bookmarks. Take a look at the <a href="http://texturizer.net/phoenix/tips.html#beh_bookmarks">tip</a> on Phoenix Help for instructions on how to share your bookmarks with several profiles.
ehume

You can have a lot of versions installed

Post by ehume »

When I was tracking down a bug I had most all of the nightlies from 11/1 to 11/12 on my machine, all in separate install directories. Since I didn't have more than one version running at the same time, they all used the same profile. There is still only one profile directory.

I also have Netscape 7 and Mozilla 1.2b installed. They used to share the same profile, but that got difficult, especially when I ran them both simultaneously. They still share the same profile directory.

I hate having to stop and specify which profile I want to use (and I might make a mistake; the themes are not compatible). So I use the profile command extension in my shortcuts to specify which profile each uses, as David suggests. That works well.
alanjstr

Re: You can have a lot of versions installed

Post by alanjstr »

ehume wrote:When I was tracking down a bug I had most all of the nightlies from 11/1 to 11/12 on my machine, all in separate install directories. Since I didn't have more than one version running at the same time, they all used the same profile. There is still only one profile directory.

I also have Netscape 7 and Mozilla 1.2b installed. They used to share the same profile, but that got difficult, especially when I ran them both simultaneously. They still share the same profile directory.

I hate having to stop and specify which profile I want to use (and I might make a mistake; the themes are not compatible). So I use the profile command extension in my shortcuts to specify which profile each uses, as David suggests. That works well.

There are inherent dangers in sharing profiles. For example, if a nightly build causes corruption, you lose your data for all that use that profile. As Phoenix matures, certain incompatibilities may be introduced. That is why the Release Notes say you should start with a clean profile. One of the first-asked questions on Bugzilla is whether someone started with a new profile.