Testing Nightlies

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Colin Ramsay

Testing Nightlies

Post by Colin Ramsay »

So I'd like to start testing the nightlies, but I'd also like to retain a working Milestone with plugins so I can always revert to that if need be.

Is this as simple as just installing the Milestone in one directory and the nightly in another? I doubt it, so I ask politely for advice.
scragz

Re: Testing

Post by scragz »

Colin Ramsay wrote:So I'd like to start testing the nightlies, but I'd also like to retain a working Milestone with plugins so I can always revert to that if need be.

Is this as simple as just installing the Milestone in one directory and the nightly in another? I doubt it, so I ask politely for advice.

I believe that you would want to create a new profile also. Launch Phoenix with command options -profilemanager, ie c:\blah\blah\phoenix.exe -ProfileManager.
djst

Post by djst »

As scragz says, it's probably best to have a separate profile (i.e. user data) for the milestone build.

http://texturizer.net/phoenix/faq.html#1.11
Colin Ramsay

Nice one,

Post by Colin Ramsay »

Thanks a lot you two. If anyone has any other advice, please add on to the thread.

:D
daihard
Folder@Home

Re: Nice one,

Post by daihard »

Colin Ramsay wrote:Thanks a lot you two. If anyone has any other advice, please add on to the thread.

:D

Just a little addition. I usually zip up both my Phoenix application and profile directories ($HOME/phoenix and $HOME/.phoenix) by postfixing them with the date of the nightly (such as phoenix_20021228 and .phoenix_20021228) so I can archive as many sets of Phoenix as I want.
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
ehume

Post by ehume »

I agree with the advice you're getting. A couple of things (on a Windows system):

Your shortcuts can be abbreviated a little. For example:

"C:\Program Files\phoenix\phoenix.exe" -p Default
"C:\Program Files\phoenix test\phoenix\phoenix.exe" -p Test

If your profile name has two words, use quotes:

"C:\Program Files\phoenix test\phoenix\phoenix.exe" -p "Phoenix Test"

You can drop a line in your prefs file (user.js) that tells your test build to use your regular bookmarks file:

user_pref("browser.bookmarks.file", "C:/Documents and Settings/User Name/Application Data/Phoenix/Profiles/bookmarks.html");

Note that I don't leave my bookmarks file in the profile directory. Also note that you use forward slashes, not backward slashes.

If you store your user.js file at the same level where I save my bookmarks, you can simply drag it down into the xxxxxxxx.slt directory each time you delete it.
herman

Post by herman »

ehume wrote:I agree with the advice you're getting. A couple of things (on a Windows system):

Your shortcuts can be abbreviated a little. For example:

"C:\Program Files\phoenix\phoenix.exe" -p Default
"C:\Program Files\phoenix test\phoenix\phoenix.exe" -p Test

I created links on the desktop, and dragged them to the quickstart bar. Now I can update my mozilla or phoenix installation, without searching in the folders which file to start. you also can specify different icons for them.

ehume wrote:You can drop a line in your prefs file (user.js) that tells your test build to use your regular bookmarks file:

user_pref("browser.bookmarks.file", "C:/Documents and Settings/User Name/Application Data/Phoenix/Profiles/bookmarks.html");

Note that I don't leave my bookmarks file in the profile directory.

I also don´t leave my cache and my mail folders in my profile(s).
That has the big advantage, that a backup of a profile is not wasting space, the cache can get big. Also not needed for backup is XUL.mfl, it is automatically rebuilt, if not found at start of the browser.

And I´ve got phoenix besides mozilla, so I´ve got one working browser, mostly. ( If not, there is still a Netscape 4.7 running, I don´t have to fall back to IE ;-)

You even can run Phoenix and mozilla side by side, they don´t share their profiles, contrary to netscape7 and mozilla.

herman
ehume

Post by ehume »

herman wrote:You even can run Phoenix and mozilla side by side, they don´t share their profiles, contrary to netscape7 and mozilla.
Actually, using shortcuts with the -p flag pointing to separate profiles, you can run Nescape and Mozilla separately. For example, I am as I type this running Px, Moz, and NS simultaneously, with Spheregnome, Eskimo and Toy Factory, respectively, as themes.

Since Moz 1.3 beta is tonight's nightly, I only have one version of Moz installed. But it's certainly no sweat to run multiple versions of that and Px. Just label your shortcuts, as the man said. I once had something like ten Px versions installed whenn I was looking for when a particular bug first occurred. That's a little excessive, but you can see it's no problem.

Have fun.